Will a cracked wing mirror fail MOT

Reg 33 of the road vehicles ( con & use) regs 1986 states 'interior mirror and exterior mirror shall be capable of being adjusted by the driver when in his driving position' please look up the regs to see I am telling the truth then post back here and I will accept your apology ;-)

Reply to
jamie8

very true Bill

Reply to
jamie8

So does this mean that 2 of my cars, that have proper _wing_ mirrors, are illegal? Or are you quoting C&U as opposed to MOT regulations, where I would expect C&U refers to cars made from the date they were written, and not before?

Only been skimming this thread due to the bitching and suchlike, sorry if I've missed the point :)

Reply to
Stuffed

I guess you're referring to me ?

Well, I can't find the whole construction and use regs document on the Web, but I did find this DfT page on Reg 33:

Quote: iv. each interior mirror shall be capable of being adjusted by the driver when in his driving position;

v. except in the case of a mirror which, if knocked out of its alignment can be returned to its former position without needing to be adjusted, each exterior mirror on the drivers side of the vehicle shall be capable of being adjusted by the driver when in his driving position. This requirement does not prevent such a mirror from being locked into position from the outside of the vehicle.

So, I'd say there's no requirement for drivers-seat adjustment of any passenger-side mirror, and as for the driver-side mirror, it's possible that the normal design of an adjusting mirror glass within a spring-return outer casing might not need to have any form of adjustment available from within the car itself (this would seem to meet the exception clause). Even if it did, I would argue that I could wind my window down and adjust the mirror orientation without recourse to stick or electric adjusters.

Hmm?

Reply to
John Laird

you and simonj

yes i could not find the con 7 use regs on the hmso site either.

which is what i said and was shouted down for!

agreed i never said there was we referring to the drivers side mirror at the time.

and as for the driver-side mirror, it's possible that

i think the whole paragragh should be read together

. Even if it

i don't think you have to argue that at all, i think that is allowed

we can debate the wording and interpretation to the cows come home but you can clearly see that I was "not making it up" and I stood by what I said and came back to you as promised which would of been and apology had I been wrong but you have not apologised yet!

Reply to
jamie8

What you have said all along has been about as clear as mud. You have possibly made statements about mirrors, or wing mirrors, or door mirrors, nearside or driver side, or any combination. I can't tell. Here's the post I picked you up on:

Perhaps you could clarify what you meant or what you thought the poster quoted therein was on about, and we can take it from there ? As far as I can see, you have made unqualified statements that imply all mirrors need to be capable of being adjusted from the driver's seat. I thought that was bollocks, I found the nearest thing I could track down to the actual construction and use regs which also confirmed that was bollocks.

I do like the apology bit, though. You must be new to Usenet ;-)

Reply to
John Laird

and thats what the MOT requirement is. Section 8.1 page 2 Testers manual

Reply to
RMckay4631

perhaps you should read all the posts in the thread before jumping in.

i replied to a post about off side and interior mirrors and said then correctly made a statement based on what the law said about it.

I thought that was

you then jumped in and said did i make it up? when I clearly did not and it was not bollox which you now know.

No not at all. All the people who have followed this thread will have to make up their own mind. I think they will see that I acted fairly and honestly.I don't see the point in continuing this thread any more with you. Maybe you could be more polite next time you question a law and then be big enough to admit your error when proved wrong, then maybe you have been on Usenet to long. At least you now know the mirror law ;-)

Bye and good luck in the future.

Reply to
jamie8

Try reading it properly.

Reply to
SimonJ

Prior to 1st August 1978 an obligatory mirror may be on the nearside, offside or interior. After that there must be two mirrors one of which must be on the offside. Therefore to meet the MOT requirements, the obligatory rear view mirror(s) must be visible from or able to be adjusted from the drivers seat..

Reply to
RMckay4631