Would you buy a car with a welded shut bonnet?

Dude im with you on this one , I have never understood why we dont see Motorhomes putting Horse trailors at shows as this seems to be the ideal set up ?

Reply to
LloydJ

Its not that difficult.............Can you guys puh-leese take this where it belongs and leave us to our knitting ;-)

All us girlies need to know about lorries is if they have full living with a bog and the emergency AA/RAC number ;-)

Thanx in anticipation,

ClareB

Reply to
clareB

Why's that? Is there an engine-driven oil pump like with a slushbox car?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

On some there is, yes. Others are lubricated by splash from the layshaft, which will not be turning when pulled in neutral, and on some boxes there are splitters and range changes etc, which like to have the engine running to work properly.

Reply to
SimonJ

How does it work if the lorry being towed (presum. they have air brakes) has a slight/major air leak and brakes come on on their own whilst being moved? Surely they don't stay pressurised for long anyway do they?

Reply to
Matthew Millichap

So you're not actually interested in whether you can drive your horsebox legally and/or whether it's easily fixed (at minimum risk to the horses) if it breaks down?

Reply to
tinnews

Or.....we have a trailer with a small bit of living in the front - that is a good compromise for us as has the benefits of a lorry but no annual lorry test or extra road tax to pay. We have had to go and buy something substantial to pull it, but we save in many other ways.

We did have a 10 ton lorry (downgraded to 7.5 ton) which was suppose to carry three huge horses - we only ever took two huge ones at the most. It had a luton with full access open area to the living. It leaked and was a pain in the arse. Hubby use to be a mechanic and moaned like crazy about accessing the engine, which was either from underneath or through a lid in the piece adjoining the cab to living. If I remember correctly, there was one particular job that he said was impossible to do without dropping the engine out and if we ever had to do that, he would sell the bloody thing. Anyway - we sold it a couple of years ago and are chuffed to bits with our new combination (but it is longer than a lorry and we do have to forward plan everything!) Jo

Reply to
jojo

">

jojo" wrote > Or.....we have a trailer with a small bit of living in the front - that is a

Sorry - forgot to add - on the plus side of attached lutons, I personally really liked having a crawl-through/open entrance from cab to living, as when travelling a youngester or problem horse, we had easy access to the horse.

A scatterbrain Jo

Reply to
jojo

NO, bonnet must be removable for inspection pre race

Reply to
mrcheerful

Chris green wrote

Not the point matey - if I was that interested I would go visit uk.rec.cars.maintenance and post a relevant question - that was the whole point, or even better go find the info on a technical web-site. The original post had nothing obvious to do with horses and prompted the usual diesel soaked anorak responses that the 'ordinary' person ( male or female) may find tedious.

clareB

Reply to
clareB

Those are important points, but the other points which I am fussy about are the condition/material of the floor, the type of partitions (full or half) and the ramp. As far as partitions go, I have only had full ones, yet others prefer half (anyone got a reason for this, as I don't understand why some prefer half partitions?) The only experience I have had of half partitions was a bad one - an acquaintance transporting some tired horses and one slipped sideways under the half partition and took the legs out from under the horse next to it. She arrived with a heap of horses which we had to kind of sort out. Ramps can be a pain in the bum unless you have enough dosh to afford an electric one. If they are too light they are generally too flimsy and if they are too heavy they wreck your back. If you can set your hydraulics right they are okay but either they seem to be easy to get up and hard to pull down or vice versa. I hate carpet or stable mat type rubber on the ramp, we had a real grippy rubber which was shit to clean but amazing grip in rain or muddy conditions. Jo

Reply to
jojo

clareB ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Umm, that's exactly where you are, dear.

Reply to
Adrian

Usually there's a coupling or you can link into the red airline on an=20 artic.

Failing that, it's a trivial task involving nothing more than a 13mm=20 spanner to wind the brakes off.

--=20 Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, =A32.50 just for signing up:

Conor

Yeah Jo these style trailors I have ssen a lot of , infact at a show I was at on Sunday I had a good look in one. The most common make of this type seems to be Equi-Trek. Here is a link to have a look at what im talking about...

Now this rasises some serious questions about the weight issue again, some of the models start off at 1750kg. Now I may be wrong but I dont think you can legally tow a greater weight than the vechicle that is towing. So by the time you put 70litres of water plus all your tack etc and then put even 1 let alone 2 reasonable size horses in it I think you would be having weight issues.

Remember the kurb weight of a Range Rover is only 2150kg or there abouts.

Reply to
LloydJ

LloydJ ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Not quite that straightforwards - the legally important number is the gross train weight. For any current "proper" Landy - Rangie, Rangie Sport, Disco or Defender, that's 3.5t - assuming your licence is up to it.

There is a rule-of-thumb that the trailer, laden, shouldn't be more than

80% of the towing vehicle weight, though.
Reply to
Adrian

So for a rangie you can tow up to 3.5t wow or have i miss-read your post ?

Reply to
LloydJ

LloydJ ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yes. Legally. And for a Disco and a Defender. Look at

Adrian

In my experience full size partitions are fine in princable but in practise can be more problems than they are worth. The main problem we had was as the horses tend to move there stance alot when travelling full partitions tend to restict there movement. Some horses tend to side step under braking and we have had horses slip there shoes due to the catching on the bottom of the partition.

I prefer half partiions with a thin rubber hanging to the floor from them. This alows the horse to move around a little and stops the dreaded "Splashback" which when one horse pees you have to wash the horses next to thens legs when you get to a show ROFL.

Reply to
LloydJ

There you go , everyday is a school day ehh lol , anyway my grandad once had a Ivor Williams 505 go into a sway and go over on its side on the motorway with a pony inside. Mind you he was towing it behind a Montego lol. He swore he would never tow something heavier than the vehicle again.

Reply to
LloydJ