Yaris replacement

Is the car description the owner getting it wrong or the site?

Reply to
Clive George

Cylinder layout and performance?

That'll be the site.

Reply to
SteveH

:)

I know. Its feckin' hideous.

"Underpinnings"? Understatement, if ever I've seen it.

Looks comfy inside though.

Reply to
AC

In message , AC writes

It looks lovely inside. If money was no object, I'd buy one for the missus but that's not going to happen any time soon.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Yup, if you have no intention to use the engine or the brakes it's an excellent choice.

I read the rest of the thread. If you really must take the Italian gamble, there is Chrysler variant of the 500.

Mazda 2 any good?

Merc A (might be reduced price, given new model announcement)?

My friend raves about his Honda Jazz (with flappy-paddle box).

Kostas

Reply to
Kostas Kavoussanakis

I'm not sure what you mean by that?

Reply to
Paul Giverin

A 1972 DS was our family car between 1980-something and the early noughties. I drove it between 90 and 94 that I fled the nest, but only when absolutely forced. The 2L engine was pathetically inadequate and the brakes woefully undersized for a car of that weight. I will not comment on the cooling system as this could have been down to maintenance, rather than the car being 10 years out of date on its date of sale.

Despite its wonderful shape and, err, useful back seat, I much preferred to drive the 1966 FIAT and/or the 1979 Peugeot 305 also in the family at the time.

Kostas

Reply to
Kostas Kavoussanakis

Couldn't you afford to get it fixed?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

the very early ds that I got aquainted with (the one with the button for a brake pedal) had staggeringly good brakes for the era that it was in (60's) In fact it was quite frightening compared to the cambridges and consuls etc.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

What, upgrade the (inboard) brakes and resize the engine? There was a

2.2 litre variant, I seem to recall, but the family is 101% averse to modifications in general, certainly non-standard ones.

I guess it was the others that were frightening. :-)

Well, I was comparing between the 66 FIAT and the 72 DS, what can I say?

Paul, I saw you did not comment on my on-topic suggestions; I guess they don't fit the bill.

Kostas

Reply to
Kostas Kavoussanakis

Citroen still vie with Alfa to come bottom of all car reliability indexes. Cheap cars that cost a fortune to run.

Reply to
Peter Hill

2.1 and 2.3 in acouple of tunes, depending on year.

EFI an option in the 2.1 and 2.3's using, I think D jetronic. Many original parts to keep it working are now very scare, but there are modern reproductions available, as well as period boxed flavour of the megasquirt, which allows you to have 3D electronic igntition integrated with multipoint fuel injection.

One of the 389 original Chapron Decap's in show condition is still awe-inspiring.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

In message , Tim.. writes

Absolutely...... but some of the third party conversions don't look so good.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

No, get the hydraulics fixed. If a DS has poor brakes it's broken.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

There isn't.

There's the Lancia / Chrysler Ypsillon, but that's Punto based.

Reply to
SteveH

Land Rover are the worse, with Jeep, Renault, Chrysler, Saab, MG, Rover, Mercedes, Jaguar, Audi and BMW... Alfa are in with that group, but Citroen are not.

In fact, Citroen are between Skoda and Peugeot and the top 15.

(According to What Car's 2012 survey)

(Although I don't think it's all that accurate, as the best Alfa is supposedly the 156 with the worse the 147 - mechanically they're nigh-on identical)

Reply to
SteveH

Absolutely. Jaguars used to have a warning on the back about their use of disk brakes but they didn't really need it. Citroen didn't put a warning on the DS but it really did need it. The car could stop in unfeasibly short distances for the era.

Reply to
Steve Firth