2000 intake manifold

My mechanical experience is all based on a 5 hp Briggs and Stratton go kart engine and a 1966 Chevy truck with a 328 (in 1994), so I'm a little lost on a vehicle that include vaccum hoses and electronics.

(The local shop that has done all the work for the last 6 years just went under, so I decided I'm going to start maintaining the Miata myself.)

I have a 2000 Miata that I bought new. I've changed the oil every 5000 miles and drive about 360 highway miles a week. I currently have

95,000 miles. The only other maintainance is break pads and clutch slave cylinder.

I took off the top of the intake manifold to fix the EGR warning. I am very suprised at how grimy it is in there.

Is this normal? Is all this crud just from crank case vapor? How much does the crud lining the intake effect engine performance? I'm surprised that these surfaces aren't smooth; is that what gets polished in a "port and polish"?

I've read

and
. Thanks for any input.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Not unusual not to be smooth but looks very oily to me.

Reply to
J Brockley

I cleaned the whole thing with STP throttle body cleaner, even spraying some into the lower half of the intake manifold. It eventually started and seems to run fine.

My local mechanic mentioned that there is always a lot of oil in the intake, especially of Fords.

Joe

Reply to
battjt

Joe,

Go to miata.net and look at the service bulletin for 2000 & 2001 engines with EGR problems. The "Garage" section shows & tells you how to clean the intake manifold.

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

This excersize failed. The fault is still active. I've driven a week or two.

Any one have any other ideas before I take it to the shop?

Joe

battjt wrote:

Reply to
battjt