Are glass rear windows standard?

Starting to think if I can afford to sell my aging Honda, I want to look seriously at a Miata. Was wondering if the recent NB models have glass rear windows, or is that strictly aftermarket?

Also, what tips for soft top preservation (other than a car cover, which I would consider). I don't have covered parking and would hate to accelerate top wear.

TIA

Reply to
Rivergoat

Yes, 99+ (NB) all have glass winders...

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

Hmmm, winders? I was hoping for a little more power to the car than perhaps a rubber band *:P

Reply to
Rivergoat

Nah. He's from the place where a rag in the gas tank is the norm and barbed wire is called bob waaaa

Reply to
Col:

Yes.

Keep it clean with mild soap.

Don't take it too seriously.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

My experience is that the sun does more damage than any other weather element to soft tops and especially ones with vinyl rear windows. Tree sap and bird droppings are also bad. Keep it covered and clean, if the cover gets wet u must remove it to let the cover and top breath and dry, very important.

Reply to
Mike

Keep it clean and use a protectant such as 303 or STP Son-of-a-gun.

Reply to
Natman

sly.

I have a '99 (first year of the glass-window top) and have used it as a daily driver for five years, with a hardtop on roughly from Thanksgiving to April each year. The car is garaged at home, but in open parking at all other stopping places. The only deterioration of my top at this time is slight fading of the forward inner surface (which faces up when folded). This is likely due to the fact that I virtually never use the clumsy boot cover, so the folded top is always exposed to sunlight. The exterior of the top is fine, with only periodic washing using the same "car cleaners" I use for the rest of the vehicle.

I might add that the glass-window top (factory and aftermarket) may fit the 1990-1997 cars in most cases, but installing wiring for the defroster would be a considerable pain.

Joe Silver '99

Reply to
jchase

My '97 has the wiring and switch already installed for the defroster, for use with the hardtop IIRC. Many 90-97 cars may have the same.

Reply to
TBG

Oops, I forgot that- and many cars have become separated from their hardtops over the years. Look for pigtail and plug behind the drivers headrest.

Joe Silver '99

Reply to
jchase