Blue one?

I don't know anything about this, just saw it on Craig's List for Phoenix.

The price is good, no title, of course...

Reply to
XS11E

Getting a new title should not be that hard, they have to have a mechanic's lien to be selling it.

I would put new plug wires on it and drive it home. Even if it did not start, I would probably give them $800.00 for it and have it trailered home in a heartbeat. That is a ton of parts if nothing else. I wonder what the mileage is.

I am guessing that it will be sold by tomorrow if it is not already gone. :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Betcha they don't, betcha they have absolutly NO legal right to sell it.

Also, I think it's required that the seller get the abandoned vehicle title and that used to take a year.

I suspect you'd be looking a a very long, slow, frustrating process.

( Start with 28-4801

Reply to
XS11E

Back to debating? :-)

I have a friend who has been doing mechanic work for about 15 years. He has at least 10 abandoned cars that are his property. Most of them are pure junk, but a few are worth restoring.

Filing the mechanic's lien is a relatively simple process, and if it is not challenged and the mechanic can show that the car has been on the property for the required amount of time, then the property belongs to the mechanic.

It would be easy enough to contact this seller and see if they legally own the Miata or not. They will either say that they have a mechanic's lien or they probably will not respond at all if they do not.

Having never done this, I don't know how long it would take, but a year is a long time to wait if that is the case.

Very likely. IIRC, it is not that hard to get a new title in Texas. I know that my friend has sold a few of the cars to be driven/insured/inspected that have been left on his lot.

I will ask him how much of a PITA is it to get a new title when he sells one.

Pat

Reply to
pws