Convertible Top Latches Fix?

My 1995 MIata has a lot of trouble latching the top down. Usually I have to keep it open and use a seperate cover when the weather demands it. Would replacing the latches with new ones solve the problem? It is a new vinyl top from Robbins, but I am wondering it the problem is not in the latches but maybe the top framing itself. Any advice woudl be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
mdginzo

A new top often needs to be stretched out.

Leave it up for 4 or 5 days and it should set. There are also adjustments that you can do to the latches, but with the top being new, that is almost certainly what is causing the problem.

Pat

Reply to
pws

How old is the top? Robbins says the top must be installed, put up and left up for a couple of days to stretch out. I lowered my brand new Robbins top with the glass rear window the first day I got it and put it up later that evening. The rear window tore out....

It's going to take some time to stretch it out properly, maybe a week or more if the weather is warm, maybe until next summer if it's cold...

Reply to
XS11E

Well, I did that. This top is over 6 months old now.

Reply to
mdginzo

That makes it a used vinyl top from Robbins, not new.

I would try adjusting the latches to their maximum setting and see if that helps. If that does not fix it and it has not and will not stretch to fit, then it is most likely a defective or improperly installed top.

The frame is pretty tough and any damage to it would be quickly noticed both visually and while raising and lowering it.

Pat

Reply to
pws

It was new when I got it. Anyway, I will try adjusting the latches.

Reply to
mdginzo

I was not trying to be rude, it just makes a big difference on whether you just installed the top or not. New made me think that you had recently installed it, so stretching it by leaving it up would have made sense.

With six months of use and it still not fitting properly, there is probably another problem, as you suspected.

Anyway, good luck and please let us know how it works out.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I didn't think you were being rude. I just wanted to make it clear that I bought a new top. I am going to do the latch thing, but I am wondring if the latches tend to wear out making it more difficult to catch.

Reply to
Christopher Muto

Careful use of a hair dryer will do wonders! I SAID CAREFUL!

"It's go>

Reply to
Chuck

I had the same thing happen. The no-zip glass window top had a defct. Robbins replaced mine and paid to have it re-installed free of charge.

Reply to
mdginzo