Dry vs Wet Torque question

I was working on my car and a neighbor walked by and ask what I was torque a certain bolt to. The he asked if it's wet or dry torque. I said it must be wet cause I just put some anti-seize on the bolt. Then he tells me that wet torque needs to be much higher than dry torque. What's the deal with that. I also just changed my plugs last night and I put anti-seized on those. Should I torque it to spec(15lbs) or add extra torque cause the bolt is had anti-seize and I wipe the oil off the threads in the head?

I ended up just tighten it with a straight handler and adding 1/8 turn instead of torquing it.

Reply to
G. Mack

Right or wrong, good or bad-- There is a difference between wet torque and dry torque. Usually, a torque spec will specify if it is to be wet. Practical seat of the pants solution. Torque readings and specs have a range. I generally tighten to the middle of a torque spec if dry. If wet, other than spark plugs in an aluminum head, to the high end of the torque spec. , assuming that I don't know if the spec. is wet or dry. Spark plugs in an aluminum head with anti seize are a special case. I tighten them by feel, based upon the crush washer getting crushed. (Thread the plugs by hand first.)

If a removed bolt had loctite applied, the residuals should be removed from the bolt and the threads it goes into. I leave it to the user to figure out a method that is approprite to the specific application.

Reply to
Chuck