HELP! Transmission / Clutch

All the sudden my car doesn't want to shift into reverse! I've had very little problem with this in the past. An occasional; put it in first and nudge forward, then go back into reverse ok but, I thought that was pretty normal. It hasn't been doing it allot lately but when I got home tonight and tried to back into my drive it pretty much refused. Several attempts failed.

Is this the beginnings of a clutch going out or a transmission problem? What do you think?

Clutch and master cylinder were rebuilt with in the last 20k probably (supposedly anyway. I was out of town and had to get it done in a pinch at a dealership).

Help! Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Does it go in if you pump the clutch pedal a few times? Check the clutch slave cylinder for leakage. Pull the rubber boot back--it should be clean and dry inside.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I have no problem locating the clutch master cylinder (and the reservoir is properly filled) but even after searching in the drivers footwell, all around the mastercyclinder and everywhere else I could think of (from above the car), I have yet to see that piece of _ _ _ _.

I read this on miata.net:

For the slave cylinder, it is located under the front-passenger part of our miata. It can be clearly seen after the right-front wheel is removed. It is like a door actuator thingy with rubber boot cover (similar to the shock absorber rubber boot cover) on it.

Does this mean I should have the car up on ramps and be looking from underneath? Can you walk me to it (verbally)? I did not have the time to get into it tonight but would like to check it out tomorrow evening . Oh, by the way, when I went out there after the car sitting for awhile, w/o starting it, I was able to put the clutch in and easily shift into R and into the other gears and back into R. Once I started the car and pumped the pedal a couple of times, it didn't want to go into reverse again.

TIA, Chris

99BBB

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

If you grovel, you can see the slave cylinder by peering under the car just behind the right front wheel. There's an arm poking out of the bellhousing; the slave is forward of that, with a pushrod connecting them.

If reverse is the only gear you can't select with the engine running, it frankly doesn't sound much like a slave issue.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Oh, I'm willing to grovel, believe me, I'm willing. I'll get under there soon (maybe not tonight it's pretty nasty here) and see if there's any leakage. And I'll update.

Does this sound like the beginnings of a clutch going out?

There does appear to be some adjustability to the clutch down in the footwell area however, it doesn't seem to me that it's engaging in a funny spot.

Chris

99BBB

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I had the same problem and priced the OEM parts, and then priced a garage doing this for me. For some reason I hadn't taken the cap off of the hydrolic master to check. When I did, there was a "stain" that made it look like I had fluid in there. It was BONE DRY! I filled it up and after a few pumps, I was back in buisness. May not be your problem, but I felt a LOT better!

tj

Reply to
tyrus_m