how to identify an aftermarket top

Hey all My top has started to leak over the driver's side door where the seperation in the rubber is at the fold in the top. As it doesn't leak on the passenger side, I'm guessing the rubber is shot on the driver's side. I know that you can buy the rubber trim from somewhere (I forget where, but I know I've seen them), but I don't know if the OEM replacement trim pieces might fit other tops. So, my question is, how does one tell what brand the top might be? There are no markings at all anywhere on it.

Now, when I bought the car 2 summers ago I just assumed that it was a stock top, thinking that if it had a new top the seller would have mentioned it as a selling point. But, given the amount of wear it's gotten since then, it had to have been new when I got it. Upon inspection, I notice that the sleeve in the top that fits over the top rib that floats on springs in the M2 but is fixed on the M1 (follow that?) is velcroed closed rather than being sealed like the others. This leads me to believe it is an aftermarket top, but I have no idea how to tell what kind, or even if it's vinyl or not.

-- Tonyrama Crystal White '93 A

Reply to
tonyrama

Me too. OEM tops also have strips of Velcro on each side of the rear window, to attach a flimsy fiber sheet that protects the window before delivery.

But the rubber weatherstrips are part of the frame, and should fit any top. They're adjustable--maybe you can stop your leak by sliding the pieces closer together, or if it's actually damaged, shimmimg the ends with small pieces of self-adhesive foam weatherstrip tape.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

This is how I stay dry if I'm caught out. I've taken to taking my OTM if I'm sure it's going to rain, although it doesn't leak all the time.

or if it's actually damaged, shimmimg the ends

I'll have to try that. Thanks for the tip. Tonyrama

Reply to
tonyrama