i have a 1991 miata that at times will not go into gear unless engine is off. I

I just stated motor with car in first and ran it for awhile, and it shifted fine in all gears. I turned off engine, and cranked car again, and it shifts
fine. no idea what is going on. scared to drive it in case it wont shift at a stop which has happened. I don't want to spend a lot to repair. any advice would be welcome
On 2014-08-17 21:17:58 -0400, camper6689

I DON'T HAVE A CLUE.
BUT...
Can you go into second or is this only into first?
Can you trun off engine, go into first, depress clutch, start the car, and go?
Are there any sensors that won't let you start the car if you are not in neutral, if the clutch or brake pedal is not depressed, etc?
I would be inclined to think electrical/elecctronic...