96 Max Bose system display is stuck displaying "TAPE" and will not turn off

While putting a tape into my Bose stereo/tape/cd the system literally froze up and only diplays TAPE on its display. It will not turn off and the buttons are not responding at all. The light that indicates a CD is loaded is also constantly on. I've pulled the Bose and AMP fuses and the display still stays on. I havn't disconnected the battery yet.

This radio was repaired about 5 years ago, possibly for the same reason. I hope i dont have to go through that again.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Lake

Reply to
Lake

OK, for future reference I will answer my own question.

After the "stay-on" TAPE lights on the radio ran my battery down (about 30 hours), i had to jump the car as it didnt have enough juice to turn over.

After the car started (from the jump) the radio had somehow fixed itself and works fine now. Somehow it must have just froze up when I was repeatedly putting a tape in and out of it.

I suppose I could have fixed the problem by disconnecting the battery but I'm not sure.....hadn't yet tried that. Sure beats a $200 radio repair bill.

later

Reply to
Lake

Again, I will answer this question myself for the sake of anyone else who may have this problem.

The same event happened just the other day. My Bose system froze up while ejecting a tape, rendering the entire system and buttons 'frozen', not responding to anything while displaying TAPE on its display. For some reason this state ran my battery down completely within about 30 hours and maybe in even less time than that; which prompts this posting.

If this ever happens again, I will disconnect the battery cable as soon as I get home and not let it run down. Hopefully this will somehow 'Reset' the Bose back into working condition. Again, after the car was jump started from its dead state, the Bose worked as good as new.

Reply to
lake

Well, the same thing happened again, only this time when it was 5 degrees outside. I dreaded disconnecting the battery till the problem "reset" itself as it did the other 2 times.

Funny thing is, this time it fixed itself when I turned off the headlights to save the battery (I use them often for daytime driving). So the problem fixed itself without me even shutting the car off.

I'm resigned now to the fact that my Bose is messed up, but ok if I don't use tapes.

Reply to
lake