It's ALIVE!

I'm amazed! I mail ordered a new battery for the 1992 Mazda Miata knowing it would be almost impossible for me to install with arthritis making both hands pretty non-functional but... no problem! Fortunately, it's a small battery and not very heavy.

All went smoothly and I even had my letter carrier come by and offer encouragement.

The car started right up, now to wash it, get it emission tested and registered.

It's sitting on the charger right now, getting up to 100% charge.

FWIW, BatteryMart.com had it for 99.95 and free shipping.

XS11E

Sounds like a proper resurrection. Congratulations!

robert

Reply to
Robert Klemme

Not that straight forward, when I went drive it I found a water leak, turns out the upper thermostat housing had developed a hole. Replaced it and now have a new leak, possibly the lower thermostat housing.

"It's always something"

Reply to
XS11E

It can't be that you misidentified the original leak?

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

No, there was a 1/4" hole in the upper thermostat housing right at the end of the upper radiator hose.

What I did wrong was not looking at the lower thermostat housing but the thermostat was stuck solidly and I couldn't remove it w/o damaging it so I left it in place and wasn't able to see the lower housing.

When I put it back together I ran the car for some time and it wasn't leaking, I suspect the lower housing had a spot almost eaten through and as the car came up to temperature (and pressure) it let go and began leaking. I drove it some distance before the leak began.

The connector for the two small hoses is intact, I'll know more when I get it apart again, I'm still recovering from the damage I did to my arthritic back, hands, shoulders, etc. with the first go-round, I'm still too sore to get at it today.

Reply to
XS11E