Radio question.

In that case you should be happy. I stayed in Needles a night over summer and it was hot like hell. The motel blowing the hot exhaust of the AC system in the closed walkway between units made quite an interesting walking experience. :)

Leon

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Over here in the morning they broadcast the streets that they are having radar patrols and the intersections they are monitoring for red lights that day.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Actually, if you are not picky, a compressor such as on my Zen MP3 player removes that problem. Of course, it will not sound anywhere near as spectacular as on a home system in a quiet environment, but it remains audible through the range.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I would not be surprised if the dictionary were to someday read:

Hell: see Needles

Needles: see Hell

:-)

Reply to
Dana H. Myers

Are you from the "Zen MP3 Player generation" or the "iPod generation"? Does that MP3 player turn off or does it provide you with constant background music? You must get awfully bored to want that music system in your roadster. ;-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

I'd go the extra 20 some miles and stay in Laughlin. Of course it wouldn't be about AC then.

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Tom

"Dana H. Myers" wrote in news:B9KdnQhd2cQi snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

You sound like someone who's never been in Barstow or stayed there overnight at the KOA in a KwiKamp in the summer with 120F heat....

I carry a small electric heater, we hung it up, turned it on fan only and slept on top of the covers. Surprisingly enough, it wasn't too bad, there was a bit of a breeze and the fan helped but....

If the world ever needs an enema, Barstow is where they'll put the needle....

Reply to
XS11E

I've been to Barstow in the summer, several times (never camped there, though). I lived in Lancaster for 10 years, got to know the High Desert pretty well. Barstow is not the worst the Mojave Desert has to offer. Needles is, in my book, worse, and Baker probably is, too. There's just something about the way the heat lays in out in Needles.

I *did* have a very fascinating dinner one autumn evening at the Bun Boy in Baker, over 20 years ago. While I ate, a man wandered up to me and struck a conversation. He was weathered, had been in the sun, mentioned fighting for freedom in El Salvador, and, when I was finished eating, he winked at the server and my money became worthless.

I tend to think that Littlerock or maybe Ridgecrest might get that honor. I'm not speaking well of Barstow, though.

Dana

Reply to
Dana H. Myers

Maybe I should have done that.

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I will say that listening for weeks to my exhaust is not as exciting to me as it apparently is for others. But boring does not usually describe the places I drive, excluding some stretches of mid west. It is just that I see no reason to turn off the MP3 player just because I am on a twisty mountain road. Au contraire.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

XS11E wrote in news:Xns960D59C95F225xs11eyahoocom@

68.1.17.6:

Unfortunately, in St Louis, MO, the traffic reports are about as reliable as the weather reports.

Reply to
Scott Hughes

What's the difference? I'm pretty happy with my trunk-mounted

10GB MP3 jukebox.

Well, sitting in traffic staring at a bumper _is_ boring.

Especially when you're just sitting there idling.

Unfortunately, living in the midwest, it does describe most of the places I drive. :)

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Reply to
gixer

I am not sure what the difference is, I didn't even know that there was an "iPod generation" until I saw Lanny's post. He can probably clarify further, but it appears to me from his post to be a generation of people that require constant background music while driving, with the result being driver boredom if the music is ever turned off.

I guess that you are from the "10 GB MP3 jukebox generation", this could get confusing very quickly. :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

"gixer" wrote in news:d07e3j$jmo$ snipped-for-privacy@usenet.otenet.gr:

It gets into the low 120 degrees F or around 50 C. but that's unusual. It's common for summer temperatures to be around 110-115 F in the summer.

Reply to
XS11E

They are towns in the California / Nevada desert. A really hot day could be 120 F - 48 C.

I once lived a bit farther north in Chico, CA. Both summers I was there, there was a six week stretch in August and September when the high temp was at *least* 105 F - 40 C every day.

We'd turn on the air conditioning during the REALLY hot days and set the thermostat to 95 F. When it cycled, sure it was still 95 in the house, but it was 20 degrees cooler than it was outside! Felt pretty good.

Reply to
Natman

Hot as Hell. It isn't just the heat, it's the blast-furnace quality of the heat.

Reply to
Dana H. Myers

We usually get mid 40c here in summer, that's bad enough, I hate summer, but then I'm English so I guess I am not really used to this summer thing.

Worst place I have ever been for heat was south America in May, the humidity just bought you to your knees, while in the major cities it was ok as you had AC, but when you travel to some of the more rural areas they did not have any AC, it nearly killed me honestly.

You think in this day and age we could make an air-conditioned suit, id be at the front of the queue.

Reply to
gixer

"gixer" wrote in news:d07o9i$516$ snipped-for-privacy@usenet.otenet.gr:

Humidity is what bothers people the most, the places mentioned are VERY dry most of the time, humidity in the 10-20% range. When the humidity rises the temperature will usually go down a bit because of cloud cover, etc. but it's still very uncomfortable until the humidity goes down again.

Reply to
XS11E

Try

Put Miata in the seach box under vehicle .... and you'll get about 30 pertinent models in all price ranges and functions. The miata radio box space is pretty much to industry standard so you will have little problem with just about 'any' radio. I put an a top of the line Eclipse in my MX5 in about 1.5 hours. Get GOOD speakers.

Reply to
Rich Hampel