Seperating diff from ppf

Hi all, those who remember my message a few days ago about bad noises coming form the back of my car will remember I thought it was coming from the diff. Well, I jacked the car up, drained the diff and out popped a couple of nice chunks of steel :-(

So, with the enthusiasts manual and a can of CRC in hand I set to in removing the diff, the manual reckoned that you didn't need to remove the PPF to get the diff out.. well, the manual is plain wrong. I jigled and poked and levered and pushed that diff all I could but nothing was going to seperate it from the PPF, so I thought, I'll remove the whole PPF, I remoe the front bolts, the wiring loom, and I jiggle and poke and lever and push and NOTHING could seperate the diff from the PPF. So bugger it I just extracted the diff with the frame still attached.

Even with the whole assembly out I can't figure out how to extract the diff from the frame, I've removed the appropriate bolts, removed the collar from the front bolt hole, but there still seems to be something holding it.

I'm stuck. Help!

And if anybody in NZ has a diff for a '91 going cheap please email.

Reply to
James Sleeman

I assume you looked at

andsolomiata.com?

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Replying to myself for the next person who has this trouble and googles for a solution,

I finally got it seperated, the problem is a sleeve inside the front bolt hole (the one with the collar that has to be removed). The bolt for that hole is steped (has two different diameters) I think the larger diameter pushes the sleeve up so that it locks the spacer between the top of the diff and the top of the PPF togethor.

Presumadly it's expected that removing the bolt will cause the sleeve to drop so you can remove the diff - not so in my case the sleeve was still in the raised position.

How did I finally get it free? Don't know, I tried all sorts of things, wacking it with a hammer, smacking the sleeve top with a screwdriver and hammer from inside, levering, a good deal of kicking and swearing, finally I think I prised the PPF apart just enough to give enough play that I could twist it off (without damage to the PPF), now it's off I can see how it works and of course the sleeve is happy to drop out the way.. argh!

For the next person :

I think maybe if after removing the front bolt and collar if you were to heavily spray up the hole (and down if you can reach over) with penetrating oil and then when you come to move the PPF out the way give the general area a couple of good whacks with a hammer the sleeve would hopefully drop down out the way so the diff and PPF can be seperated. Otherwise just remove the diff and PPF as one and then try hitting the top of the spacer above the hole, I think it would evenually loosen enough and drop down. Once the sleeve is out of the way the diff and PPF will more or less fall apart.

Now all I have to do is find a new diff, and some money.

Reply to
James Sleeman

Can this be it? (From the 1995 workshop manual)

6) twist a bolt M14x1.5 into the sleeve 7) Twist and pull the bolt downward 8) Install a bolt M6x1 into the hole in the block to hold the sleeve and remove the long bolt M14x1.5 9) Remove the bolt M6x1.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen