shift knob

I have a 1991 miata with 5 speed transmission. I would like to replace the gear shift knob. It doesn't appear to unscrew, but could be just stuck. I didn't twist very hard as I didn't want to break it. Does only the knob unscrew, or the whole shaft? These can be changed can't they?

Reply to
scGram

The stock know screws off, but it might take quite a bit of force.

Mike "Red '97" Verive snipped-for-privacy@mverive.com

Reply to
Michael Verive

Thank you Michael, Then I assume there's not much chance of breaking the shaft?

Reply to
scGram

The shaft is two peices with a bonded rubber coupling--it has occurred that some have twisted the bond apart. When I found mine to be quite tight I lifted the center console and clamped the upper portion of the lever with a pair of ViseGrips. Using a plumber's strap wrench on the knob I was able to break it free with no damage to lever or OEM knob...

-cliff-

Reply to
Cliff Knight

The knob on the special edition (BRG) has a set screw.

Gus (BRG)

Reply to
Gus

Gus,

Thanks for the reminder - I forgot about that (this subject comes up from time to time...).

Mike

Reply to
Michael Verive

Thanks Cliff ... I will feel much safer clamping the lever before exerting any force on the knob.

Reply to
scGram

Don't use a bunch of force with the visegrips, although the upper lever is quite rugged a really big pair of visegrips could deform it--try to get them as high on the lever as you can, just below the tapered section.

-cliff-

Reply to
Cliff Knight

Thanks Cliff: Still can't get it off. I'm still not sure what the problem is ... but it's really stuck ... I can't find a set screw, but am wondering if maybe it has one. I thought it had the original shift knob, but it's not, It's worn but looks like it says MOMO on it. It has a ring at the bottom and there appears to be glue between the knob and the ring. I am going to ask my son to take a look at it (he's a much better mechanic)

Reply to
scGram

Those rubber strap wrenches that are a dime-a-dozen these days would work great for this. Put one around the know and one around the shaft and you don't have to remove the boot and have almost no chance of marring the shaft.

John ('94 Miata) jsgmcclary at cox dot net

Reply to
John McClary

Yes sc,

It does unscrew, unless the PO put on an aftermarket knob. If they did, you will need to find the set screws on the bottom to take the knob off.

Roland

Reply to
Roland Garcia