this shift knob is a headache, help please!

I have a 2000 Maxima SE, 5 spd, recently trying to make some modifications to it to look sportier. I bought a shift knob off ebay that lights up. Pretty neat I thought, but when I tried to put this thing on, it's getting to be more and more painful. I teared everything on the outside of the knob out, but when I got to the final piece of rubber, it just does not come off regardless how hard I try. I used knife to try to cut it, scissors, pliers to pull it. It simply doesn't wory. Does anybody have any experience with this? What would be the easiest way of getting this rubber out of the shaft? Help please, thank you.

Reply to
David Zhu