Synthetic Mazda 3?

I just purchased a Mazda 3, it's a 2004 with 89k km on the clock. I believe all previous oil changes were done with conventional, but I know the characteristic differences between conventional and synthetic, which makes me believe that in the long run synthetic is the right choice. Quaker state makes decent synthetics, So I believe (been using the advanced stuff for the past 3 oil changes in the

1.8t). Would the new Quaker State "horse power" 5w20 synthetic be ideal for the Mazda 3? I'm not a ricer or anything putting octane boosters in my 3 to gain performance, so I expect no performance actually from this oil, just a good synthetic that wont sludge up as much as conventional.
Reply to
the_lower_class_brat

I would spend my money changing dino oil more frequently, say every 5k miles or less...in fact, that's what I do with my own 3. At 143k on my Miata, there's been no sludge problem changing dino oil every 3k-4k.

Synthetics are a good idea for boosted engines with high stress and heat issues. I don't think they're justified otherwise.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I use synthetic, I change every 9k as advised by the handbook (I think our conditions are far less dusty over here in the UK). I agree with what you say about them in the last paragraph, but my oil has ester content which is

*supposed* to reduce engine wear during a cold startup. Apparantly this is when most wear occurs?

R.

Reply to
Richard Phillips

5W20 is unusually thin. Don't Mazda still recommend 5W30 or 10W30?
Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

No, not even for the Miata.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

5W40 for me!

R.

Reply to
Richard Phillips

I sure hope you have a *white* Miata. Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I use 0W40 (Mobil 1), not really for the viscosity but because it's the only oil that stops my HLAs rattling - Castrol Edge 0W40 didn't work at all, and nor did their Magnatec 5W30. Not a problem on newer Mazdas with solid lifters, obviously.

You can put 0W40 in 99% of cars made - a notable exception being some

1990s Fords, which must use their specified 5W30 to prevent valves sticking - although it won't give the very best fuel economy.
Reply to
Zog The Undeniable