Mazda 3 headlights?

Hi,

Anybody have a Mazda 3 Sport with gas type headlight bulbs? I contacted my main dealer and Mazda who do not want to know the problems I'm having, now I'm not sure which way to turn. It's difficult to explain but I'll try my best, basically the lights (dipped) are very bright but seem to be directional, meaning they show up to around 30 feet in front of the car then nothing, they don't fade away into the distance like normal bulbs. They are self leveling so I cannot raise them, I have lost count the amount of times I have nearly ran off the road due to poor vision, mainly on "A" class roads with no other vehicles to illuminate the road for me, I know can can switch to full beam but if a car is approaching in the distance I tend not to do this. Mazda said 30 feet in front of the car is very good, giving the stopping distances at up to 60mph I find this unacceptable. The Mazda dealer reports no problems........ Maybe I need an eyesight test, but I don't think so... Help please....(first post so be gentle)

Reply to
Craig Yorkston

This is completely normal for gas discharge lamps.

Maybe you need your eyes tested?

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

"Tim (remove obvious)" wrote in message news:dubm0g$jae$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

I would agree, get your eyes checked first, you may be surprised at the results! It's night time driving that shows up failing eyesight first.

Des

Reply to
Des

I'd third that opinion. When I got my specs in 97, even though my prescription means its legal to drive without them, the difference driving at night was like .....er...... night & day.

Reply to
DougP

Because I've done ALOT of night driving I tend to go everywhere on dipped beam. My mother finds it unbelievable that I can drive down a SC A road at 60MPH in the dark without using full beam. I find it incredible that people have to.

Reply to
Conor

In message , Conor writes

But can you stop well within the distance you can see to be clear? (See Highway Code 105)

Reply to
Peter

I was actually joking about getting my eyes tested, they were tested 2 years ago and were fine. I used to do a lot of night time driving for a living, with many variations of vehicles, also with dipped beam, I very rarely used main beam, so I do have a fair bit of experience, and knowledge of how headlights should perform, bring back normal headlights any day...... After I posted last night I read a review in "Auto Express" which also mentioned the same problem.

I feel a fight with Mazda coming on

Reply to
Craig Yorkston

Which 'normal' lights are you talking about that don't have a sharp cutoff? Every car I've owned for the past 20 years or so has a sharp cutoff.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The HID ones do seem to have a much sharper cut off.

Reply to
Duncanwood