Scratches on Hood of black 350Z in Seattle

Does anybody have some tips on how to remove scratches. They look too deep to buff out. Should I have the hood repainted or is there some type of air brushing that can be done?

My wife had some garden tools hanging on the wall of the garage and the tools fell on the hood.

Reply to
news.nwlink.com

Oh man. I'm very sorry to hear about this. Unfortunately, things such as this do indeed happen from time to time. It's never an easy thing to accept at first, but we just have to learn to live with the temporary disappointment and then move forward with the fix.

If the scratches are as deep as you've described them to be, the best thing to do is have the entire hood painted. Any other fix will most definitely be more noticeable than having the entire hood repainted. If you get someone that is really, really good to fix it, and they use the latest paint matching technology that is out there today, no one but you and someone that knows automobile body and paint work really well would ever even notice that the hood's paint isn't original. There are some computer-based paint matching systems out there today that can pretty much guarantee the body repair technician that he will get a nearly 100% perfect paint match. The advancements that have been made in automobile paint matching technology since the mid to late 70s are quite impressive if you asked me.

Again, if you get the right guy on it, no one will ever even know that your hood has been painted. ALL cars that are driven any at all eventually get a few warts and pimples here and there. It's really unfortunate for us true car lovers when these things happen to our beloved rides! :-)

Best of luck to you, and don't sweat it. Your 350Z CAN be fixed to your satisfaction by the right body repair technician.

S.T.

Reply to
S.T.

This is the case where a picture is worth a thousand words. The clear coat isn't the greatest on these cars. If it's to metal then it's probably body shop time. I would wait until you inevitably get more scratches and don't yell at the wife. Good cars can be replaced, good wife's can't.

My advice to you take a digital pic, get someone to host it, and then link to that pic. If it is white, it didn't go to metal. After you get it fixed get plenty of layers of protection on their using whatever sealant or wax you prefer. I use Crystal Guard myself.

GL,

PM

Reply to
Paul Maxson

I would try a good detail shop first. Repainting is always tricky. After a couple years it may peel, and really look bad.A good paint job will require sanding entire hood to bare metal, and if the right treatment and primers are used, it will hold up well. If!

greg

Reply to
gregs

If I were you, I'd crosspost this to the all of the main auto newsgroups. There are bound to be auto paint experts on them.

Reply to
Mr. Helper

the nerds would freak out.

Reply to
KINGLIFER

Siisssssss.... first sound I said when I read this.

depends on the scratch... really depends. if it isn't that bad goto here...

if it is bad.. have them touch up the spot wet sand the whole hood. get the code from Nissan.. you don't have to match the dam paint. (just buy Nissan paint) have the body man repaint the whole hood. on top of it... put a clear coat.... not too crazy or it will show... (fenders wont look as hot)

once all that is done... I say should cost 2-3 bills... get a dam good wax and park the car in reverse so that stuff don't happen again.

HOLLA!

Reply to
KINGLIFER

Simply buying Nissan paint isn't enough to match paint properly Kinglifer. There are differences in humidity where cars are painted at the factory and where they are painted in a body shop after the fact. To do things right, you have to make sure that you prepare the paint properly--as well as the metal itself. If you don't, you can end up with primer and/or sand marks showing through the paint, and the paint color itself won't match properly. Regardless of whether or not you bought "Nissan paint".

By the way, what does having the car parked in reverse have to do with the garden utensils falling off of their hooks in those people's garage Kinglifer?!

S.T.

Reply to
S.T.

You have a point but I am assuming he is going to a "good body shop" which means... they know these things??? (looking around like... am I taking crazy pills?) We don't have to break it down that much.

as for the reverse parking... think about it... I can see it now.. your eyes up in the air... going hummmm... it will take a second....

Reply to
KINGLIFER