Oil Change, Internal Cleaning After a Mistake.

In the last 5 oil changes the used oil was extracted with a manual pump, by the oil cap on top of the engine. They did it that way because the bottom drain plug head was rounded. I didn´t know it until I saw them during the last change. Welding a bolt on the drain plug was the solution, but the dark sticky mixture that came out from the bottom of the engine got me worried. Though now the engine spins more smoothly, I would like to know how to clean it deeply. Thanks

Reply to
MMansilla

One can suck oil from the motor's dipstick tube and many shops do so - that tube goes down into the sump but I don't know if ANY oil can be removed through the oil cap on top of the motor - I suspect NONE! So, the conclusion is that the oil hasn't been changed at all, only added to. And the filter changed? Who knows.

If it were my car I'd

  1. kick those jerks in the ass - they cheated you
  2. never ever go there again and tell your friends about this fraud
  3. give the motor an oil and filter change after say, 1,000 miles or
1,500 km
  1. then forget about it.
Reply to
T.G. Lambach

You are right, they sucked it form the dipstick tube. When I saw that they were not going to lift up the car, I ask them why and they told me "we´re going to suck the oil from above, because ... etc". I took this as from the oil cap. Sorry, my mistake, I was mad. I know it would be a "bit" hard to get it out from there.

I already sent them to hell, but now I'm doubting, you say that this practice is usual.

But then, I wonder why so much ugly garbage came out..., maybe as you concluded, after all they were just "adding" some oil!... those thieves!

Anyway, a new oil change within few weeks and that´s all. It sounds good. Thanks

Reply to
MMansilla

MB dealers has been sucking oil since 1999... maybe earlier. Sucking oil as the articles have concluded... gets more oil out than draining... plus it is a bit quicker and cleaner doing so.

Reply to
Tiger

I change oil on my 1997 SL500 with a suction method and have always done the same on my marine engines........marine engine oil pans are about 2 inches from the bottom of the hull and cannot be drained......in boats, that is common practice to suck the oil out. I see no problem with changing oil through the dipstick tube. As I look into the oil fill cap, the engine looks clean as a new engine.

Reply to
high falls doc

Marine engines was the first thing that I thought of too. I had twin

454's on my boat and like most boat owners, I routinely changed the oil by pumping it out through the dipstick. Still, in a car I'd prefer to drain it if possible, since I think it's a little more reliable way to get more of the oil out. But for the OP, I certainly wouldn't be so outraged that the oil change guys did it that way, as it should be perfectly adquate.
Reply to
trader4

The same thing happened to my 1998 E-320 a local MB mechanic (dealer is 100 miles away) used a pair of vice grips, no need to go the bother/mess/trouble of doing any welding!

I didn't know about the sucking process until you brought this up. I've got a sucker from the days when I'd bleed the brakes, that should work if the hoses will fit in the dip stick tube. Only problem is it's a hand pump job and for

7.5 quarts it might take all day. ;-)
Reply to
James O'Riley

Once in a while, drain by the plug... but rest of time, sucking is fine.

Reply to
Tiger

00 miles away) used a pair of vice grips, no need to go the bother/mess/tro= uble of doing any welding!

ot a sucker from the days when I'd bleed the brakes, that should work if th= e hoses will fit in the dip stick tube. Only problem is it's a hand pump j= ob and for 7.5 quarts it might take all day. ;-)

If you really want to drain it via the dip tube, the best solution is one of the pump/bucket devices. It's basicly a 5 gallon pail with a

12V pump mounted to the top. The pump has alligator leads that connect to the battery. Comes with the hoses and a puour spout on top, so when the bucket is full, you can pour it out. Marine supply places have them for $150.
Reply to
trader4

miles away) used a pair of vice grips, no need to go the bother/mess/trouble of doing any welding!

sucker from the days when I'd bleed the brakes, that should work if the hoses will fit in the dip stick tube. Only problem is it's a hand pump job and for

7.5 quarts it might take all day. ;-)

Thanks for the info. Considering all you mention above I guess I'll keep using my MG mechanic. With a fleece filter, Mobil 1 and how little oil consumption is I'll probably only have to change it once before I die. ;-)

I'm not going to reveal my age, but it has the same number as the number of brass trombones in the big parade. ;-)

Reply to
James O'Riley

The vice grips didn´t work out, the steel of the drain plug was too soft and the plug is sunk in a narrow hollow on the oil pan. I was a bit anxious about the welding, but they did a good job. The welder was a metal "surgeon". Though I live in a big city, I'm far away from a MB dealer too, but in terms of money. I'm saving for my next Benz. :-)

100 miles away) used a pair of vice grips, no need to go the bother/mess/trouble of doing any welding!
Reply to
MMansilla

Mail order a plug along with the next parts you are going to buy online.

Reply to
Tiger

I already bought a new one at the dealer: I will mail order a couple for spare. Thans for the advice.

"Tiger" escribió en el mensaje news:xUMyg.6779$ snipped-for-privacy@fe08.lga...

Reply to
MMansilla

Get a Topsider from any marine shop for about $50. The capacity is enough for Mercedes cars. It sucks out the oil in 10 minutes when the engine is warm/hot. Much cleaner and easier. Once done, the hand pump can be replaced with a cap and you can bring it to recycling center. Only then you will see the oil :-)

The tube coming with Topsider is vinyl, too soft to be used in cars other than Mercedes. The dipstick tube on Mercedes engine goes to the bottom of the oil pan. All other cars I maintain do not go that deep so Topsider does not work.

snipped-for-privacy@>

miles away) used a pair of vice grips, no need to go the bother/mess/trouble of doing any welding!

sucker from the days when I'd bleed the brakes, that should work if the hoses will fit in the dip stick tube. Only problem is it's a hand pump job and for

7.5 quarts it might take all day. ;-)
Reply to
Wan-ning Tan

I was able to get a plug from our local NAPA Auto Part store.

Reply to
James O'Riley

Just above half a gross... :-)

Keep on truckin'.