Problems with Mercedes e-class 220 cdi gearbox

I have an e-class 220 cdi. 2002. The dealership has just advised me that I need a new gearbox at 42000 miles! Has anyone else has a problem with their gearbox getting stuck in 2nd or 3rd. They want a heap of money to repair it even though I beleive that I have reported ther symptoms several times during the warranty period. Let me know if you have had a similar problem.

Reply to
simplicity

This sounds like problem with valve body... I am assuming he is talking about automatic transmission. If so, I would recommend they swap out the valve body and negotiate with the dealer that it was under complaint many time that they didn't fix it. They should cover for the majority of the cost if not all. Get regional service rep involved.

They have STAR diagnostic machine that can test each gear independently to determine what might cause the problem. I think something is wrong with the electronic selenoid that operates the gearing selection on the valve body.

Reply to
Tiger

Could it be from Glycol in the box, is it a W211 car? There is a known problem with Valeo radiators leaking. This was for cars before 09/2003 or so.

Reply to
Me

Oh right... I remember that... yes, this issue needs to be verified too. This is known issue by MB.

Reply to
Tiger