Re: Mini Reliability?

Let me tell you about my experience.

I have over 24,000 miles on my 2002 Mini Cooper "S" and before you read the list of things that have had to be ironed out, just let me say that I would still not trade it in for anything else except for another Mini Cooper.

I realized going in that I was purchasing a brand new automobile with no repair or reliability track record.

It's been in for a few things, but in truth I chalk it up to being a completely new design.

So far it's been in for:

1) the computer three times. The last update finally fixed the hesitation in first gear.

2) Noise in steering column. Replaced

3) Bad front wheel bearing - replaced

4) Power steering pump - replaced

5) A few other minor things like the turn signal light in front of the doors breaking off, - replaced

All have been resolved free of charge and cheerily by the Miami dealer, Braman, and the world's best service rep, Nick Florio.

Consumer Reports recently gave the Mini a pretty low reliability rating. I > have seen posts in this group and in other web sites that say there were > problems with the early Minis, sort of implying they had been ironed out. > The only specific problem I know of is a problem with the programming of the > engine management computer, and apparently that was taken care of. > > Question: has reliability REALLY gotten better? The reality is I will > probably buy a Cooper S regardless -- so what can I expect in the > reliability department? > > > Thanks in advance, > parkerea > >
Reply to
Bubbski

I think over time reliability has improved. Most problems now appear to be rattles, etc.

Reply to
WWII

You aint wrong there, my cooper s sounds like a 20 year old land rover, which is exactly why I'm going to get rid & buy a 20 year old land rover!

Nige

Reply to
Nige