do i or dont i

Hi Guys

I have a 1984 mini mayfair.

Wich has sat on my drive for some 5 years resulting in rust in the usual places! I am thinking of getting it going again, but with my lack of mechanical skills I have to pay for the work to be done.

The engine is is fine a friend managed to fire it up after so long, but there is still an electrical fault.

my questionns to the group are.

is it worh the expence to have the car prepared for MOT ? or will it be cheaper buying another Mini and using mine as a donor?

is there a reliable garage i can take my car to in west london?

i ask the above cos the car is in ok condition its rusty but not a rust bucket she needs sills, welding on subframes, A panels and doors. plus cosmetics.

thanks G

Reply to
gitesh

If what you have described about your car is correct, then repair this car rather than scrap it, the cost of buying another mini would pay for the repair, and there are already plenty of donor parts around if you need them, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Pick it up, and throw it in the trash. Get a real car made for humans, not hobbits.

Reply to
Madmax

I would be inclined to get it repaired. Mini panels and rear subframes are still relatively inexpensive. It is pre engine management systems, which has to be a bonus. It's a 1984 mini - doesn't that put it close to tax exempt.

Reply to
flash harry

hi Flash, It may be coming up to 25 years old ,but I believe it will never be eligible for tax exemption, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Cheers guys,

Will start saving up the pennies !!! Look forward to lots of questions

gitesh

Very soon me thinks with the current government they will scrap car tax! you will all pay congestion charge for the time your on the road, all cars will need a small box fitted, they will be tracked by satellite, ( not sci fi, these are being trailed right now) or even worse car tax + congestion tax!

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

Trailed or trialled ? Most likely they will be scrap heap taxed.

Reply to
madmax

Lucky for me I walk to work, but its also a matter of time before my company are forced to charge employees to park, there is a levi on business car parking, so companies will have to recoop the money some how, all the other companies around me including my HQ in London charge already! Lucky for me I have a permit which entitles me to free park as i dont at my satelite branch.

Barspeed and his magical Mini'

The wife works for the NSH. They charge £150 for her to park at work. And they wonder why noone wants to work for the NHS.

The Muffin Man

------------- Get FREE newsgroup access from

The Muffin Man

hey its the local elections tomorrow, make your voice heard!

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

There is no election here. I do make my voice heard at every opportunity :D

The Muffin Man

------------- Get FREE newsgroup access from

The Muffin Man

Im gonna vote labour, because I want foreign criminals to run riot, all senior ministers should have affairs with secretaries, nurses should all be sacked, ministers should all smoke dope, tax on small cars should go up as high as 5litre 4x4's, inheritance tax should be higher, more speed cameras, i want a disillusioned police force, i want crap parole officers, terrible social workers, I want paedophiles living next to schools, i want less local services for higher council tax, i want my rubbish taken away every fortnight, i want elderly ladies arrested for hitting muggers on the head, I want human guinei pigs killed, I dont want the English to wave english flags in Germany and do spitfire impressions.....oh its already all here...cool.....:-(

Reply to
Barspeed and his magical Mini'

I know it's bloody depressing, I really thought things would get better in the UK when Labour came to power in 1997, well any morons would be better after years of Tory damage, but well as you just said ahem. Yes Tony your a prat!

Taffy

opportunity

------------- Get FREE newsgroup access from

Taffy

He's not such a bad bloke, he only sent 103 British members of the armed forces to their deaths as they had insuffiecient body armour, and averaged

25 years old, look at Bush, far worse record...:-)

Reply to
Barspeed and his magical Mini'

Oh I know all this Iraq war stuff and there we were thinking Tony knew something we didn't and it was all justified and it turns out he didn't after all!

Anyway if your reading this Tony sort the bloody trains out and give us real Mini owners a tax brake or something, for god's sake our cars are tiny and are a significant British creation which surely deserves a rebate of some kind for being amazing and special etc?

Taffy

in

------------- Get FREE newsgroup access from

Taffy