Technical question

Hi, just a quick and hopefully easy question. Jacked up the front of the Mini suspecting wheel bearing wear, no play in the hub but the top swivel moves about 2or 3mm in and out, tightened the nut a bit, but still movement in the top of the hub assembly. The Nut remains still, but the joint beneath moves. Replace the swivel?

Thanks Jon

Reply to
Barspeed1975

Hi, You can either replace the swivel joint, or just remove a shim from under the large dome nut. There should be 2 or 3 shims of varying thicknesses under there, it is just a case of selecting one that removes the slack when it is all re-assembled.

Keith

But making sure you can still move the joint, it can be stiff but mustnt be locked up solid

-anthony

Reply to
Anthony

Just been down the local shop, I will check it out and remove some of the shims and adjust accordingly, if that fails will have to get a kit. Sounds silly, but having owned Mini's for the last 8 years, never had to do one before.

J>> Hi,

Reply to
Barspeed1975

Have you been greasing the ball joints? a lot people forget to do this, best to do them every 6 months, 13" wheels help to wear out the joints too,

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

I grease them as you say every 6 months, just done it a few week ago but it didnt feel right when driving. I have just remove one shim, which has improved on the slackness, hoping a top up with new grease will cure it. I did remove an extra shim but the pin ceized up even before tightening the cup with the socket. Hope that works, handy having a laptop in the workshop!

Cheers! Jon

Reply to
Barspeed1975

Hi Jono if you can move the pin with finger and thumb pressure, then is about right ,,,, if you cant move it ,,then its to tight Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy