1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse- Starting Problems

Just bought a used Mitsubishi Eclipse GS, 1994 model with the 2.0 DOHC non-turbo engine. I drove it home knowing that it needed some new parts under the hood (perhaps an idle control valve), and the next morning it wouldn't start. I can hear the starter cranking away when I try to start it, but there's no spark in any of the plugs, so it won't turn over. I'm getting fuel to all cylinders, so I'm reasonably confident the problem isn't with the injection or delivery systems. Timing chain is brand new, as is the head gasket, the alternator, the water pump, the belts, the spark plugs, and the spark plug wires. Should I now go and test the ignition coil, or what? I'm a little at a loss as to the next step in diagnosing the problem. Please help if you can!

Reply to
chandersman

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com ha scritto:

to be checked:

- idle speed control

- throttle position valve

- ignition coil and cam position sensor

- fuel filter

- fuel pump

- starter

In few hours you should have your car running again.

andrea

Reply to
Andrea

Thanks! I think the idle speed control is it... too bad it cost $300 from the dealer! I found it for lots cheaper, but I'm gonna have to wait for it to get here. :)

Reply to
chandersman

You just bought a lemon. Don't worry, it is easy to buy Mitsubishi lemons because they are really good making lemons. They can make lemons better than any other Japanese car manufacturer.

I hope you didn't pay too much for your automobile. After you eventually pay out more money to get it going, if it doesn't smoke and burn oil then think yourself blessed indeed.

Reply to
Bhagat Gurtu

You really are a useless dork, aren't you? If you don't like Mitsubishis then go the f**k away. Nobody is interested in your self- perceived wit or opinions on the subject.

Reply to
bcammack

I think the idle speed control is it... too bad it cost $300

The idle speed control, while maybe faulty, is unlikely to be the main problem. The engine will start if it has fuel and spark at the right time.

I'd verify (again) that the cam timing is correct, and that you really do have spark using a timing light. If the cam belt is off a couple of teeth, the engine may start but will run poorly, and then often not start at all. Try disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds to reset the ECU and try again. When you turn on the IGN, does the CEL turn on for about 5 seconds, then turn off? If it stays on, then there is an error code you can read to get a clue.

I'd also check the connection to the coil, which is mounted on the intake manifold, just above the a/c pulley belt.These have a clip that often gets lost or broken off when belts are changed.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

I have the same right to write about Misubishi topics in the Mitsubishi channel as you do. I do not tell you what to write about. If you don't like what I write then you can choose not to read it.

Reply to
Bhagat Gurtu

You're absolutely right. Everyone has the right to have their opinion on something. Everyone also has the right to act like a moronic, obnoxious idiot, HOWEVER, most people choose not to exercise that right.

Reply to
Kestrel

What are you driving, Borat?

Reply to
bmk

Probably a Ford. Nothing blows spark plugs better than a Ford! Nothing burns better than a Ford. Built Ford cheap. Built Ford Stupid. I had a '98 mustake, but I learned. :O

Reply to
Gyzmologist