Checking Antifreeze in a 2001 Gallant

My GF went out and bought an antifreeze tester. It's the kind with the short rubber hose. She says when she went to check it from the overflow, the hose wasn't long enough. (The level was properly between the fill marks.) She says she then removed the radiator cap and couldn't get the hose in as there was some sort of grid near the cap that wouldn't allow the hose to be inserted. Please comment on her description of things. Does it sound correct? Then, if so, I would think the only way to get a reading would be to put a longer hose on the tester, right? Looks like I will have to drive down and pay her a visit! Thanks for your comments and advice. Frank P.S. I assume both overflow and radiator are theoretically both the same in terms of getting accurate readings.

Reply to
frank1492

My GF went out and bought an antifreeze tester. It's the kind with the short rubber hose. She says when she went to check it from the overflow, the hose wasn't long enough. (The level was properly between the fill marks.) She says she then removed the radiator cap and couldn't get the hose in as there was some sort of grid near the cap that wouldn't allow the hose to be inserted. Please comment on her description of things. Does it sound correct? Then, if so, I would think the only way to get a reading would be to put a longer hose on the tester, right? Looks like I will have to drive down and pay her a visit! Thanks for your comments and advice. Frank P.S. I assume both overflow and radiator are theoretically both the same in terms of getting accurate readings.

Reply to
Jeff Dawson

Is it Ok then to add antifreeze directly to the radiator full strength until the fins are covered up to about an inch below the cap, or will that affect the overflow adversely? Also to get an accurate reading on the meter, I would assume you would then need to run the engine for awhile, to mix everything properly, then cool the engine, then measure, is that right? Thanks so much for your help! Frank

should be enough coolant in the radiator to completley cover the fins , which from what you describe doesnt sound like it does.

Reply to
frank1492
Reply to
Jeff Dawson

Sorry Jeff. So I can add directly to the radiator?

the coolant . If theres alrady enough coolant ( strengthwise ) and you add more , you could end up overprotecting it.

before taking your reading,

There should be enough coolant in the radiator to completley cover the fins , which from what you describe doesnt sound like it does.

Reply to
frank1492
Reply to
Jeff Dawson

I agree with some others about the level improperly being below the fins. Here is some extra advice:

The level should always be overfull when you remove the main radiator cap. The radiator is a closed system, and uses vacuum to suck fluid from the overflow back into the radiator when the engine cools off. If the system can not hold a vacuum due to a leaky hose or radiator cap, then the coolant goes out to the overflow, but never comes back.

On our 99 Galant, I noticed corrosion around the radiator hoses at the engine. The factory spring clamps are insufficient to maintain a perfect seal. I moved the stock clamps a bit (no need to remove completely) and added worm clamps and my problem with lost coolant was cured.

When you flush your system and add new coolant per the coolant manufacturer's recommendations, be sure to use distilled water.

Gerard ASE Certified Master Tech

Reply to
geewhiz