n/a JDM 4G63 vs US 4G63

Looking at a couple of JDM engine inporter sites, the normally aspirated JDM

4G63 (ECI-Multi) is rated at 170hp, while the US/Canadian 4G63 is rated at a mere 135hp. I could understand another 5-10 hp due to higher octane fuel and different emisisons standards, but to get 35hp would require most or all of bigger valves, more cam overlap and/or lift, higher compression, bigger injectors.

The importers didn't have a clue.

Anyone know what the specific differences are that give the additional 35hp?

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

here's what I found on dsmtuners:

'89 Galants - 4g63 145HP 174TQ motor with 9.0 Compression '90-91 Galants - 4G63 160HP 186TQ motor with 10.4 Compression '89-91 Galants tuned by AMG - 4G63 170HP 191TQ motor with 10.4 Compression

Reply to
John

Hmmm. Might be worth considering, though I'd have to use premium grade gas. My 93 Summit Wagon's 4G64 SOHC-16v is v-e-r-y- tired and burning a lot of oil. Its rated at 145hp, at 9.5 compression, and run regular gas quite happily. Could be worth swapping it out for a 160-170hp 4G63 DOHC. A few years ago I swapped the 4G63 SOHC 8v in my old Vista 4WD wagon with a 4G64 SOHC8v. The extra torque from the long stroke was nice, but it didn't rev usefully much past 5000. The 4G64 SOHC16v in my Summit wagon revs way better with lots of torque.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS