Re: 89 Galant fuel gauge problems.

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 21:51:53 +1200, Phillip Weston scribbled:

>Hi there. > >I have a New Zealand new and assembled 1989 Mitsubishi Galant GLX >1.8L. Now, when I fill the fuel tank, the gauge only indicates that >the tank is only half full. Then while driving the gauge will often >sink down to empty, then back up to half way, then in between, then >back down to empty etc, regardless of what gradient the car is on. >Also, it seems that the fuel gauge will display half only when the >engine is not running, and when the engine is running, the gauge >indication is random. When the tank is nearing empty, ie in the last >1/4, it will display the remaining fuel fine. > >What could be the cause of this? This car has done 362,000kms, but has >been well maintained. I have recently replaced the battery, fuel, oil >and air filter, clutch, tires etc. The car has also had a recent tune >up. > >Any ideas how to troubleshoot and correct this problem?

Anyone? No ideas at all?

-- Phillip Weston Taumarunui, New Zealand

Phillip Weston

Fuel sender unit in the tank is dicked. Easy to replace,but could be expensive (and hard to get).

Reply to
watheroo

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 20:03:39 +0800, "watheroo" scribbled:

Oh. Hrmm. There's a Japanese Galant of the same age/generation at my local Mitsubishi dealership where I get my car serviced. So far it's being used as parts, as I have already scavenged a few parts off it. I'll see if I can get the fuel sender unit off it.

Cheers for your help, much appreciated.

Regards, Phil