4 days and it's dinted

How different are the 3.6 XJ6s to the 3.6 XJSs? Is it just the same engine, different design shell?

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Different gearbox, the XJS had IIRC a GM gearbox, the XJ6 definitely had a ZF. Both got a ZF in 1990 when they went to a switch-selectable autobox with sport/economy and later sport/econ/winter settings. But yes other than that the same engine, same power output.

It was IMO one of the better Jaguar engines. It seemed smoother and had more oomph than the next evolution the 4.0 AJ6 and it wasn't until the AJ16 4.0 that the engine got to be the best ever.

Reply to
Steve Firth

When did the AJI6 come about? X300?

Reply to
Doki

I think it was from 1994 onwards, so yes X300 and run-out models of the XJS.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Mother had a 1967/8 S-Type 3.4 with Leaper in Old English white with red leather interior.

That was a fantastic car. Would love find another good one. Those big balloon 15" tyres were funny though. something like a 70 or maybe even 80 profile 15". I reckon you could go to 18" wheels on that and still have something semi sensible like a 50 or 45.

Actually, can't remember the original size, but if it was something like

205/80/15, you could actually go to a 215/50/19 and still have the speedo over-read by 1.5% (Displayed 60 is actually 59 real road speed), so you could seriously bling up an old S-Type, with nice wheels, redone chrome, some window tint, and subtle lowering job, and you would have a fantastically cool car, without buggering it up too far.
Reply to
MeatballTurbo

I envy her, apart from the white that is, white was the gangstas colour. I suppose it still is.

Reply to
Steve Firth

In article , usenet- snipped-for-privacy@malloc.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Oh yes it was, and the plate on it was REG***E. How many famous gangsters called Reggie were there?

Actually it needed to be white, because she used it for weddings.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo