Advantages v disadvantages of a diesel!!!

Obviously I will get the fastest smoothest V8 OR 10 and petrol, turbo or otherwise!

Have you seen how cheap???

Reply to
Burgerman

Thats why you are a fool on 2 counts.

The other one is that I explained clearly 3 times and you patently dont get it, or refuse to get it because either way you look a fool.

Last post cannot be bothered to comunicate with someone too ignorant to read and understand basic principles.

Reply to
Burgerman

It's a negligible factor? - and certainly one you can counteract by changing the oil every 10k miles at the most. Mind you, most people with any sense will be doing an oil change then, if not earlier (I usually do mine at 6k miles) for the sake of engine life anyway.

So, in summary. A petrol will outlast a diesel if the owner doesn't change the oil at least on schedule.

Oh well, if that's the case I'll never buy a diesel, 'cos oil changes are such a huge cost in the grand scheme of things.

*wanders off shaking head*
Reply to
SteveH

go on - how much...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Main dealer oil changes are around 80 quid these days - every 6000 miles that's adding another 1.3p/mile. I know I don't and many others don't use main dealer for stuff any more, but figure it in and it all adds up.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

20 quid for a drive in drive out change at National Tyres. That's for fully synth, too.

I'd change oil equally as regularly on a petrol as I would on a diesel, so the cost argument goes out the window at that point.

Reply to
SteveH

In 1989? The XUD was introduced in 1982, and is the original useable diesel engine. Or is your francophobia getting the better of you again?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

I said last post but you changed you mind now. So now you admit dirty oil wears out your engine... And a diesel is so dirty its black after you go round the block! My petrol and most others are still nice and clean after 4 or 5 thousand miles!

THAT is why my statement about diesels wearing faster rather than lasting longer is true. Even without all the extra stress from open intake and 23 to one compression...

Even if you change the oil twice as often on a diesel it wears faster because its black after 10 miles! The point is my statement was correct all along, you knew it but were too childish and still are to admit it.

Its not about oil changes its about you saying they last longer.

Reply to
Burgerman

they have little mices running around inside of them and lorries have elephants?

Reply to
dojj

but the vw 1.8 can make 225 fairly easily but the diesel lump makes 150 tops

Reply to
dojj

XUD? What's that, the 1.8 rattlebox they fitted in 205s? I learnt to drive in one of them (turbo), my mate had a non-turbo, truly awful.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Others disagree. Which is of course where this thread came from :-)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

can someone work out how many strokes an engine would do (petrol and diesel) over a set period? if everyone is saying the d cars are longer geared they must do less revs over a set distance so how much less do they do and therefore how much less would they wear?

Reply to
dojj

the truly awful bit referred to the non-turbo, and the 205 it existed in.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Yeh, the Jag goes from here to Italy when it's a holiday, the Ford goes when it's for work.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It's only a tad faster than the 4.0 Exploder, and IIRC the V8 Exploder leaves it standing.

Yes, there is that. I was actually thinking of a Dodge RAM but erindoors keeps threatening to set the taste police on me.

Reply to
Steve Firth

And the science said it would work since about 250BC.

Reply to
Steve Firth

You don't know how much I'd like a RAM - just to annoy those who think my car is a big penis extension.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

You still claimed that diesels were less reliable. You then told us, your s**te old Ducato, with its continuing unreliability was what compelled you to post in the first place - you slung all diesels under the same umbrella, with that one post.

You then claimed you were actually referring to modern turbocharged ones.

There are, if you bother to look, plenty of websites out there that quite happily state that diesels overall, have more longevity in the engine stakes, than a petrol equivalent.

You can say what you like, keep banging the same theoretical drum - fact is, there are more than enough high milers out there that disprove your claims in this respect.

Reply to
JackH

Bollocks, the Montego TD Estate (1992-1994 IIRC) was way behind the Citroen BX TZD Turbo (1989-1992 IIRC) in every respect. Even at the time the vile Perkins diesel was described as "noisy and harsh" and it could only lug to 60 in 12s vs the Citroen's sub-10s.

Reply to
Steve Firth