Anyone had any experience of...

Yes. Prices vary, some companies charge around £600 or so for the recoding.

The TDI 90, as you've probably seen, doesn't have an intercooler. The TDI

110 (and 115, 130, 150, so on and so forth) are intercooler, and also have other funkiness. But they're essentially the same donk. As a disclaimer, this is a huge simplification, however it'll do for here! :p

Well..... I guess it'll depend on how hard you drive it. If you're caning it then it's possible that you'll break something, however you'll be breaking something sooner that was already going to break.

As I recall, the transmission wasn't materially or substantially changed for the mark four Golf, nor between TDI 90 and 110 models... but don't quote me on that.

I've chipped and tweaked many cars. What I've found is that in the city, it makes no difference, not that one would expect one, heh! On the motorway, the difference depends on the car and the driver. When driving gently over a hilly route, it can make quite a difference.

The most recent example is Kermit. His recoded ECU has flattened the torque curve, so now he's producing >100% of original maximum torque output from

2,000 to 4,500 rpm :) which makes him noticeably more tractable. If During my commute and being gentle, fuel consumption is down from 45 mpg to ~47 mpg.

Not to mention the 0.8 second improvement in quarter mile times, too! :p

Reply to
DervMan

Honda held off on diesel for a long time, and they seem like the kind of company who would hate to release something not up to scratch. As you say, it has been well-received. The 3mm bore separation seemed alarmingly small, but no doubt it's enough. Liked the semi-solid aluminium :-)

The piston crown appears to be "dented" to accommodate the glowplug, but that might have been an optical illusion. Nice video.

Reply to
John Laird

The terminology goes back to way before small diesel engines were designed for cars. Direct injection meant injection into the combustion chamber. Indirect injection, into an ante chamber. AFAIK injection into the manifold came much later, so you could say it's the current terminology that is incorrect. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Yes, but generally speaking, the presence of an "i" on the badge generally implies direct injection, as opposed to indirect injection, which, as you say, is a feature of all diesels.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

A very good friend of mine - Astravanman, he's the guy who first introduced me to drinking the water from the fuel filter as a sign of diesel ownership! - put "TDCI" on the back of his 1995 Mondeo TD, back in 1995, to signify:

"Turbo diesel compression ignition"

Then Ford go and nick his idea about eight years later! :)

-- The DervMan

DervMan

I suppose that could be so. Either way, the terminology used doesn't make it clear to the punter. Perhaps the petrol system should be called 'Manifold Injection'.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

It's the same chap that designed the VTEC engine, which I guess might result in a near perfect design :-)

I think that is all to do with 'swirl', they seem to make a lot of fuss about that.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

in news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, "JackH" slurred :

O.k., so the obvious answer is to nab one off a 110BHP lump somewhere, but for other sources, then cheap second hand intercoolers can be had off several swedish turbo engines - any 2.0 plus turbo petrol lump will flow more air than your TDi, so they should be adequate. I don't know about the specifics of mounting. Of course, once you fit an IC then you need to alter the fuelling map, and doing that can be tricky for DIY. If you use a VAG TDi intercooler, then you can use an e.g. 110BHp tuning map. Alternatively, you could have a word with Allard Turbo or Van Aaken - Allard make thier own intercoolers (I found them surprisngly reasonably priced) and have been tuning turbo diesels for donkey's years and really know what they are doing.

Heh, well for cars old enough to be scrapped, but with decent sized turbo lumps, there aren't _that_ many candidates, although that must be getting easier.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

The message from "AstraVanMan" contains these words:

Some diesels are direct injection.

Reply to
Guy King

My thaughts on logical terminology would be:- Direct injection diesel. Indirect injection diesel. Fuel injection diesel.

The last to keep in line with similarly fuelled petrol engines.

But is the punter really interested? All most want to know is how much fuel does it use, how quickly can it accelerate, how noisy, and how fast. In roughly that order.

Perhaps the petrol system should be called

I see nothing wrong with the present terminology as far as petrol fuelled cars are concerned. IMO 'fuel injection' is all that's needed to differentiate EFI engines from those with a carburettor.

A direct injection petrol engine in effect is the same as a direct injection diesel engine, apart from the addition of a spark plug, so is obvious to anyone who understands how diesel engines are categorized. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

The message from "Mike G" contains these words:

If they are they can always find out before buying. It's for nosey parkers behind!

Reply to
Guy King

Andy Hewitt ( snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

"Port Injection" has been used in the past. I s'pose that's quite a reasonable one.

Reply to
Adrian

AstraVanMan ( snipped-for-privacy@WithThanks.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Mmm. Where there's a "TD" and a "TDI" version of a diseasel, the I normally implies the addition of an intercooler.

Reply to
Adrian

But the last is just a generalisation.

Exactly. The whole thing has become a mess of ridiculous acronyms, probably because all vehicles are fuel injection now.

Indeed, although the difference between sequencial and constant injection systems are more important - although I suspect nobody uses the latter anymore.

To be honest, as you say above, the punters only really need to know how their car performs. Even then the differences between each technology can overlap considerably depending on whose it is.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Yup, that'd do as well. I mean why not, they had to change single point injection to 'throttle body injection'.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Andy Hewitt ( snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I think that change was a bit more a marketing decision. "Single point" sounds cheap. "Throttle body" sounds fast.

Reply to
Adrian

That sounds like the best compliment you could give a diesel engine.

Better still, a chipped HDI!

Reply to
Mr Benny

Nothing to do with it, it was Euro legislation to standardise the acronyms used on cars.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Andy Hewitt ( snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

JTS is *petrol*, Andy. JTD is diseasel.

Reply to
Adrian

I have a (non-performance) 1.6 VTEC in my Civic, about which I can find out absolutely nothing (it's too new for all the archive saddos, I think). Don't suppose you have seen any specs ? I am mildly curious as to whether it's 2- or 3-stage and where the change points are. As I said, it's no boy racer engine, and I think I have only once noticed what might have been a bit of a shove when accelerating hard up a steep hill in 1st. Apart from that, any cam changes are so smooth as to be undetectable.

Reply to
John Laird