Anyone had any experience of...

I didn't think the 1.9 came out until a few years later - VAG's first TDI was the 5-pot 2.5 litre 115bhp one, used in the Audi 100 in 1991. I think it was 1994 when the 1.9 was first used.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Heheheheh!

Hmmm, but it's more economical than the Citroen. And better built. And not French.

LOL!

-- The DervMan

DervMan

I think it stands for the German word for either s**te, silly, or entry level? :)

We were looking at the entry level Octavia estate SDI. Slow, rough, thirstier than the TDI according to the Government overall statistics, but cheap, oh so very cheap.

-- The DervMan

DervMan

Tim (Remove NOSPAM. ( snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMbtinternet.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Driving petrol.

Reply to
Adrian

Tim (Remove NOSPAM. ( snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMbtinternet.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Do you have to run a pub to drive one?

And the very short life of PSA's HPi.

Reply to
Adrian

Tim (Remove NOSPAM. ( snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMbtinternet.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

2,000 bar? Are you *sure*?

That's 29,000 psi.

Reply to
Adrian

like

Oh... right... so 'TDI' normally implies the addition of an intercooler on just the one car then.

S'what I thought, but always like to let them have enough rope to 'ang themselves.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

intercooled

'Opinion as fact'... dontcha just love usenet...

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

And only for a few years at that, too.

Well, kinda, but to be fair it's just a badge, heh... :p

-- The DervMan

DervMan

I dunno, someone mentioned that it averaged just under 65mpg on a Land's End to John O'Groats trip. You wouldn't catch my Audi doing that. Maybe close on 50mpg if you were gentle.

I might also be tempted by a Pug 607 in a few years time.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Well, the Honda video referred to in these quarters said 1600 bar for theirs, so why not.

Reply to
John Laird

I always thought that DI stood for direct injection, making TDI stand for turbocharged direct injection, with diesel just being implied there, as direct injection petrols normally have some other fancy name (HPI, GDI, SCI or whatever it was that's the d-i petrol in Mondeos), and TD stood for good ole turbodiesel.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Yes, and more in some cases..

In the PSA HDi, it can reach 32,000psi. Renaults DCi's are slightly lower.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Haven't heard about them as yet...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

JackH ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yep.

Reply to
Adrian

Tim (Remove NOSPAM. ( snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMbtinternet.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Fark.

And mechanics used to be scared of 70bar in Citroen suspension hydraulics.

Reply to
Adrian

Spot on, they all run at 1500-2000 bar.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Now you have me worried.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

s Yes, I know how they work , it's an argument of terminology we're having. And we've already resolved this if you read the thread further on!

Yes, I know that too.

Yes, that too.

Yup, that's the one I was thinking of. It also exceeded the Californian emission regulation *without a cat* fitted.

Yup.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Funky direct injection petrol engines, they sold it in the 406 at least, probably in the Xantia or C5, too.

Reply to
DervMan