Attn Vamp: Posted your ZX on retro-rides.

I put it on at =A385 or offers, should give someone chance to haggle and=20 it might make you the smidgiest of profits.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

And to compliment Vamps ZX Bluebird, anyone in Essex want a free BMW 5=20 series needing work.

Yes, free.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

hmmm, E28 520i with no T&T.

That's more than it's worth :-P

Reply to
SteveH

E34, ITYF. Read the text again.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

E36 he said.

It's on an E plate, which makes it an E28.

The E34 came in on an F plate.

Hint: Don't try to out-anorak an anorak :-P

Reply to
SteveH

OK, I'm wrong.

My anorak lead me to look up the actual production dates.

01/06/1988 was the first E34.

That probably makes it worth even less, then ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

1-0. Back of the net!

Though if it was a good clean one, it'd still be a nice car, though still not worth much.

I personally reckon the really clean ones will appreciate though, as they are still a great looking design, and one of the nicest looking cars in their class for their generation - possibly amongst the nicer/nicest looking in their class of all time (though I'm sure people will quickly say I'm wrong).

I reckon a clean one now bought for £500-600 could increase in value in the coming 4-5 years though. Ok, this isn't really comparing like with like, but Mk3 Escorts have - the one I had with all the stick-on s**te was bloody clean and very solid, and had I taken all the crap off it and got it sorted nicely, that could be about £700 worth now. Still an old POS at the end of the day though.....

Reply to
AstraVanMan

They aren't all that common, but I've seen an E plater before... and yes, I too scratched my head when I saw it.

It's a 520, almost certainly with cloth...

'Nice' :'(

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

It's free FFS. if it is as solid a shell as suggested, whey not make it a project, stick in any engine you want, even by a rusted out early 300ZX, bit of mig work and send off the new engine number to the DVLA, you got a 3 litre V6 BMW modded trackday road legal car.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Yes, and your point is?

Almost all cars without MOT are worth more in bits than they are as a whole. In fact, as a whole, it's not unknown for a car to have negative value, but be worth around a grand as parts.

This would be a special prototype BMW E34, then.

Reply to
SteveH

Hmm, might be worth breaking actually...

...shame I've no space for any more sheds.

Because it would, with respect, be pretty pointless when for a few hundred quid you can now pick up a 525i 24v or a 535i with MOT that works. Even something as well built as an E34 is going to suffer big style at that age, when left to sit for years - all the rubbers underneath perish, and chances are the lump will be all but seized, never mind the brakes.

Not... worth... the... hassle.

Yes, it's that easy just lobbing a lump into something, isn't it, especially when it's out of something made by a completely different manufacturer...

I mean, who needs wiring anyway... :-P

Waste of time, when you can pick up E34 540is for less than £1500 now - any which have lasted this long will have either been rectified, or will never succumb to nicosil problems.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Heh - well I've seen both a Carlton and a Senator on an M plate. Beat that!

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Or will idle roughly, with the seller pleading ignorance, as was the case with the one PeteM looked at up in ScouseLand a while back for me.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Nope, it would be a free 5 series with a Nissan engine.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

*shrugs*

Whatever you're smoking...... I want some.

Reply to
SteveH

Y reg Maestro (2001, not 1983)... R reg Montego.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

The M-plate Carlon/Senator are easily explained (ex police). The Y-reg Maestro is no problem (CKD kits from Belgium bought, assembled and sold here from 1998 by some blokes in a shed somewhere dahn sarf). The R-plate Montego, though... that must have hung around a LONG time.

They made them up to 1995, IIRC, for minicab drivers. I'm sure I remember the last one being sent to the Heritage Centre.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

I'll take that Montego, and raise you an R reg Pug 205 (yes, two oh five).

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Ledburys... aye.

Not aware of the CKD tag - thought they were all Rover stock meant to have been originally for the Bulgarian taxi market.

I believe they're ex MOD.

There used to be a mint J plate Mk1 Orion around here - local car, looking at the plates... and the old giffer who used to crawl along at 30 everywhere in it.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Yep, that's about when they killed the damn things off, finally.

Jack: CKD - see

- but it was also widely reported at the time the cars were coming onto the market (for about £4K, IIRC). And don't fall into that website, I can't stop reading it, because I am clearly a deeply sad person with awful taste in cars. I also happen to think it is an incredible site and wish Toyota, Vauxhall and everyone else had a similarly detailed and informative site. A Rootes/Chrysler version was developed, but was absorbed into a US mopar site.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK