AUDI S3's

Yes, I know that. One is an understeery boat, the other is a dentists' friend. Neither are class leading.

The interior isn't as "nice," the seats are not as good and the ride is a good deal firmer.

But I agree.

Oh hold on. It's quick. It isn't really really quick, though.

Nah I'd not say it's that bad. It's just unfriendly.

Can of worms. I have a chip on the shoulder about Audis: I injured my back when Kermy was stuffed, I've find the ride of every Audi I've driven since then too jarring and firm. This is frustrating.

Reply to
DervMan

Right, do I detect a little case of "I own one so it must be the best"? (c:

I've found all the Audi's I've driven (admittedly it's not many) to be desperately uncomfortable and that they seem to have all the driving entertainment deliberately engineered out. I find that they have over assisted brakes (which you can get used to I suppose) and very dull steering. They suit a certain type of driving, perhaps I haven't grown into it yet.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

s3: 1530kg, 210BHp. P/w=137 BHp/ton

328: 1430kg, 193BHp. P/w=134 BHp/ton

Given the extra drivetrain losses in the 4wd system, and unknowns such as weight of drivers and fuel and assuming Vamp managed to get of the line cleanly, there shouldn't be much in it. Obviously, if it was one of the higher power variants, then the story would be different.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Twin Intercoolers I beleive aren't they? I'm certain they are on the Leon Cupra R.

Reply to
Iridium

No i don't think it is, I have driven lots and lots of cars especially when I had company cars, I like Audi's simply because they are so nice looking, they look like a well put together car and although the suspension is a little firm it's a good thing, once you have owned a nice Audi, everything else feels inferior.

Another thing is everything just works, it might be simple and bland, but it works, the displays are very good, the bulbs dont blow, the LED's dont fade or wear out, the seats are hard yet very comfy, everything is just perfect.

Now go back to my dads 5 yr old Aero, it looks real nice, it drives real fast, but little things annoy the shit out of me, like missing displays, doors not sounding proper when closed, electric windows not sounding right when closed (don't ask lol)

The other cars that are in the same line up as the A4 all feel cheap and inferior, so why should I drive a more inferior car when i can afford an Audi.

The only car's that come close are BMW or Merc, and iIam not keen on the image of those so it has to be an Audi, very few people who buy German cars change them to somthing else, and if they do they soon come back.

Reply to
Ronny

But they look like most other stuff in the VAG camp... and it's a personal choice.

A little?! :-)

I disagree, but then I suppose I would. They're great cruisers for smooth autobahns, but in the UK, I don't see the advantage. Despite their firm ride their handling isn't in the same league as say the 3-series (A4 'vs'

3-series).

I much prefer the A3 over the Golf. Neither the previous shape A4 or any Passat stirs any sort of emotion in me whatsoever...

...which isn't a bad thing. My Saab's most remarkable bit is it's unremarkable.

Perfect? No...

Heh.

On the other hand why should I buy the overly firm A4 rather than the more supple (insert name here).

It's a taste thing though. I looked at a couple of A4 TDIs when wanting to change the Honda. Okay the Honda. Utterly without soul. Efficient, quiet, smooth, good handling, but, boring.

I would rather own the Audi, except, the only thing I liked about it was the "TDI" aspect... and really disliked the ride quality, even on the lower specification models I was looking at.

Like you and despite the merit I wasn't going to drive a 320d. :)

Reply to
DervMan

It's fairly obvious now that you are taking the piss.

Oh, maybe not then.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

So in the same league what car would you own, most people who frequent this NG mostly drive pretty cheap bangers or "just a run about" very few actually drive anything I would say is much nicer than a A4 1.8TQ

Not including Vamp and a few others who even though their choice cars is not perfect they are passionate about them and have avery good reason to buy it, then you got the usual (it's cheap) crowd.

Reply to
Ronny

That's got nothing to do with anything, and I personally haven't expressed a preference either way.

You said Audi's were nice looking, they are not with the exception of a few sporty models. They are bland in the extreme.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

That can be said about every car in the market today, of course the "sporty" models look better, i was talking about the interiors being bland, not the styling outside, which imo is what every executive saloon car strives to achieve, I think Audis have the perfect balance of being classey but subtle.

On a side note, if I dont go for an Audi A4 Cabrio this year, it's going to be a new shape 5 series, which I have fallen in love with.

Reply to
Ronny

A lot, but not all.

They strive to achieve non-offensiveness, but that can be taken too far. That was the whole point of BMW breaking away from that mould...

It's a subjective thing. Personally, they send me to sleep.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

wow the audi is a bit lardy! and i find the BM a bit heavy! i need to change the throttle body and manifold to get mine over the 200bhp mark i think! not to exspensive a mod to do either from what i read on the e36coupe.com site.

Reply to
Vamp

You can't say that though, looks are just personal opinion. Personally I like most Audis, aside from the A2 obviously.

Reply to
Iridium

i picked the BM because i wanted something RWD, 4 seats and a few groups lower than the MR2 turbo. it ticks my boxes though, well now it's fixed!

the engine problem really got me annoyed but now it's fixed i do really like the car. it's a nice ride for work and back. good cruiser on long runs. it handles if i do want to throw it about too. only bad things apart from the early engine prob i had that i find is 1) it could do with a bit more power and 2) i wish it was a bit lighter on it's toes.

doubt i'll buy another BM after this one unless they iron out the niggles the new ones suffer from. i'll probably go back to jap stuff as it's what i know best at the end of the day.

although i am hoping one day my place will give me a company car so i can blow some cash on something with a V8 or an MX5 turbo or maybe even a MK3 MR2 with a turbo kit...

i don't mind audi's driven a few but apart from the mental ones like the RS6 they do nothing to excite really. i love the Q car looks of the RS6 estate but the other day i was far more excited by the sexy looks of the monaro which is loads less cash too!

Reply to
Vamp

I've looked at S3s as I do rather like them, but they all seem to be a bit too pricey for the age and amount of miles. I think I prefer the Leon Cupra R as well, just seems a bit more 'me'. Plus I can get a 3 or 4 year old one, with pretty low miles for good money. The S3 does have the Quattro advantage tho heh. Either way I'd get me a 260bhp remap, as the Leon has the same twin cooled K04 spec motor.

Reply to
Iridium

i dunno really prefer the S3 from the back. not a fan of SEAT's really. the cupra R aint bad. has nice seats and very nice wheels! just if i was going for FWD i'd pick a lot of other cars before i got to SEAT's.

although on the plus they aint that common round here. probably seen 1 Cupra R on the road and that was a year or more ago now must be!

for the price i'd rather go for something older and jap but as you said the Leon is more you and jap crap is really more me anyway... which is ironic as i drive a BM at the moment

Reply to
Vamp

I've also considered Integra DC5s :-) But I think they're a bit uninsurable hehe.

Reply to
Iridium

can't be that bad. look in the back of some of the jap mags for jap insurers. my MR2 turbo was only £800 FC at 23 with 3 years NCB from admiral a year or so back(before points and a ban course)

Reply to
Vamp

You wanna take it outside ???? ;)

I did say that...

As do I, but they are a 'safe', non-offensive choice. When I'm old will probably start looking at them.

I quite like the A2, it's one of the only Audi's that has got any real aesthetic substance to it. Obviously, as a car it's overpriced garbage, but that's a seperate issue...

Reply to
Lordy.UK