Big Old RWD Barges

I wouldn't drive a 200SX if any of the other cars above were available - even if the 200SX was less than half the price of any of them. The 200SX may well be quick, but it isn't even 10% as nice as any of the others.

The Monza is bigger, cooler, more capacious and more stylish than a cheap four pot turbo'd Datsun coupé. It also has four full size seats and doesn't look like it must belong to a chip shop cook trying to be bling.

The BMW is elegant and has style that no 200SX can dream of. It's a bona-fide classic saloon car. (The 3.0 coupé is a properly useable four seater tourer with proper racing heritage)

The Rover is a four door saloon car with lots of interesting design features, an excellent ride, a classy interior, V8 engine and four seats

- all things the 200SX doesn't have.

The Capri 2.8i is heading into proper classic territory, hence values going up. The 200SX is heading into "very old Jap crap" territory, hence prices still going down.

Basically, the 200SX doesn't have space, class, good looks, race heritage (tramp drifting doesn't count) or any redeeming features other than a bit of poke and RWD. It's tuneable, but frankly I wouldn't be bothered, it's still an old Jap wannabe Capri and always will be. Loser.

Reply to
Pete M

I was quoting 1984.

but even against 1981 yours seems light. Kerb weight in those days included full tank of fuel, spare and tools. 7.9sec.
OK maybe 7.8sec
This site got MKIII 2.8i down to 7.7sec
I suspect the rose tinted specs have bigged it up to 7.2secs.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Sorry I read it as a list of barges that are currently appreciated as "classics".

Never said that the Ford turbo was any good, just the opposite, I put it in to show even with a turbo it didn't do much. The Tickford Turbo Capri was quite useful (though no doubt the living proof of all those "turbo's have lag" stories) but the Zakspeed isn't. The 3000S X-pack is better on 0-60mph than most of the later Capri.

Reply to
Peter Hill

but it's a piece of shit that when modded can send a RUF Porsche home in 2nd place.

Reply to
Peter Hill

It'd have to be a very ruf Porsche to be beaten by a shit old Datsun.

Reply to
Pete M

Ah yes, 7.8.

Reply to
Conor

1986 SD1 Vitesse, 1400kg, 190bhp 0-60mph 7.3s, top speed 135mph Not lightening quick by todays standard, but V8, RWD, sounds great and cool as f*ck. Put your car and my car next to each other and your would be surrounded by chavs, mine by proper petrolheads ;)
Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Of course it can. And be just as reliable, if driven flat out, all day, every day? Just as comfortable and with all the mods cons?

I see you ignored the other things I wrote. You never normally post random abusive posts? Random, slightly eccentric, posts about Nissan SX cars but not abusive... Did Bob violate the NissanSX code or something?

Reply to
DanB

i'd be standing by the SD1 if it was running, can't beat a V8!

Reply to
Vamp

You know, I can't think of a single proper classic Jap car, except for those really early Skylines, like this -

- but I've never seen one in this country. Aside from that, and please, do correct me if I'm wrong and anyone can think of something else, I'm stumped. Although I've just found these with a random Google,
but if I'm honest, I didn't really know any of them had model versions that old, and again I've never seen any of those is this country. Do Jap car makers never change their car's model names or something heh?

Reply to
DanB

V12?

Reply to
Clive George

Only ones I could think of would be a Toyota 2000GT or a Datsun 240Z.

Reply to
Homer

Think of it this way - he's just claimed a 200SX is a big old barge :-)

Reply to
Clive George

I think he's actually talking about a 180SX, a Nissan Bluebird/Sunny type thing -

- I'm pretty sure it's the 180SX Peter has, although his isn't modded to waste a RUF Porsche

Reply to
DanB

Same difference.

(looks at photo. I'm sure it's terribly competent :-) )

Reply to
Clive George

1989-1990 no difference between JDM 180SX and UK 200SX except JDM had a 8 port head with butterflys to shut 4 at low speed. UK 4 port head is considered better. 1991-1998 JDM 180SX had 2L SR20DET in place of CA18DET. SR is all alloy with forked rockers while CA has cast iron block and bucket tappets.
Reply to
Peter Hill

Original GT-R Powered by a 24V DOHC straight 6 way back in the 60's. They put the same engine in a few Fairladys as well. Made 160bhp.

Some of the 60's Datsun 2000s/Fairlady had 150bhp 4 cylinder (by old rating that drove all the ancillaries). Like an MG except it didn't leave oily puddles on garage floor.

Reply to
Peter Hill

I believe I have said sorry publicly to the person that I owe it to. Does it need to be more fulsome?

Reply to
Peter Hill

I believe it came 2nd as it went home ruf after 11 top speed runs hitting a best of 194.88mph and 13 1/4's with a best of 11.54sec @

129mph, maybe 20 miles in all and only 0.14sec off RUF's claimed 1/4 time. The last 2 1/4's were 15.71sec @ 69.70mph and 19.70sec @ 65.70mph which kinda shows how ruf it had got. The 1.6 mile long runway wasn't long enough for it to get to it's 212mph top speed and stop, airfield "top speed" runs are really a 1+ mile drag race.

The 1.8 SX ran an 11.51sec @ 127.1mph. A 1.8 has gone quicker since on a drag strip but 200mph has yet to be cracked on an airstrip. If a RWD Sierra can do it, a SX should be able to as well.

Reply to
Peter Hill

V12? Nah, girly FWD shopping trolley engine mate. W16s are where it's at.

Reply to
AstraVanMann