Bugger

Okay so now I'm a bit hacked off.

I dropped my Palm / 'phone about an hour ago. Now the screen is bleeding the L from LCD under the skin. Home insurance want almost the price of a PalmOne replacement screen to have it repaired...

Allders still have our money and we still have no mattress.

Some jumped up little oik, presumably from the Ka Klub, thought it funny to put up the same definition of EnthusiastiKa in the Urban Dictionary as was removed a few weeks ago (don't they get bored?).

I have to get up at five o'clock tomorrow morning, it'll be raining, I'm going over the B1225 but the Ka's suffering from excessive understeer 'cos of a broken funky suspension / steering arm thingie.

Just feeling really ticked off that I dropped by PDA...

Reply to
DervMan

No it won't it'll be snowing.

Reply to
Depresion

Yay!

Reply to
DervMan

Palms are rubbish anyway. The only person I've ever known buy one themselves was an utter tosser.

Demand money back or mattress very loudly then.

Forget about it, it's only the bloody interweb.

Mobile camera vans on the A47 these days, pretty much all the time. Good luck.

Reply to
Doki

Not going to happen, don't you even watch working lunch, listen to money box on radio 4 or read the FT? He'll only get the mattress if it's been delivered to the store and the only chance of getting the money back is if he paid by credit card and it cost over £100. When a company enters administration unsecured creditors (customers) are always at the bottom of the list, you are also probably screwed with there warranties.

If he is lucky he will be able to exchange the item he hasn't got for something of equivalent value the store has in stock.

Reply to
Depresion

Oi. Or don't Clies count? I have a Clie UX50 and it kicks arse, frankly.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

Utter rubbish! I think not.

As an aside around half of my website was written on a PalmOS device. :)

D'oh.

Not relevant to me...

Reply to
DervMan

I just found a 3com Palm thing in my cupboard.

Ah, saw about Allders stuff on working lunch t'other day (i live on daytime TV...)

Don't worry about it :)

Pfff, and a broken gear box mount, you need a nice reliable Peugeot ;)

Yea that would piss me off.

On another note, in case anyone was wondering, i can confirm a nearly new Porsche 911 Turbo is faster than a nearly new Pug 206 XSi. Unless it was just down to the driver...

Reply to
DanTXD

Thanks for that well-reasoned statement.

PalmOS is a fine specimen. My phone's Symbian OS isn't quite as nice, but then the phone's a lot smaller than the Palm ones, so it's not like I had an option (I aren't willing to put up with a brick-phone).

So ?

Er, go watch the news !

Reply to
Nom

Surely they just want your £50 excess ?

Reply to
Nom

Apparently because it's portable it has a £100 excess!

So anyway... update:

Had the Ka sorted on the weekend. Now wearing Ford Racing suspension, kinda rather pointy in a pointy way heh.

Bought a replacement Tungsten W on eBay for £75. Now I have two again. :)

Allders? *cough*

Reply to
DervMan

To me it showed exactly why I've not got much interest in racing anymore. When the touring cars were exactly that - with mods limited to just altering basic components, ie the old idea of tuning - it was much more exciting than the current Scalectrix principle of just adding a lookalike body. And almost certainly more affordable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Things that annoyed on that episode...

Why did they make the point about long charging times with the Tesla? If you could afford one a dedicated mains outlet of more than 13 amps would be simple to provide on any house - most have a supply capable of 100 or so and not much of that in use overnight. Li-Ion batteries are capable of being fast charged in theory - no laptop requires as long as they said. Then they mentioned the cost of the electricity versus petrol. Pointless comparison since one has no duty.

Then there was James May on the 'hydrogen' Honda. Until someone finds a way of producing hydrogen efficiently it's in the same sort of position as electric cars which are still waiting for a decent low cost battery.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

CTCC runs in the UK and runs all the old tin. They're still ragging the hell out of them.

Reply to
Conor

Precisely the point. Even into the early 90's, you could go buy a MK1 Mondeo, bolt the bits on and away you went.

Reply to
Conor

Because it's a significant probem with battery powered cars. As they pointed out, even if the car lived up to manufacturers claims a long journey would have to be broken down with an overnight stop every 200 miles. If the car runs as it did for them, 55 miles between charges, that's even more of a problem. As with all electric cars the truth lies below the manufacturers claims.

That car can do a 200 mile range *or* it can be driven like a petrol car. Not both.

And in practice. given the size of battery installed in that car, they can't be fast charged because individual cells would overheat. And then there's the physical problem of supplying sufficient current to charge the batteries rapidly.

Laptops have tiny 80-odd WH batteries. Even then when fast charged they can explode or catch fire.

Not a state of affairs that would last long. The price quoted was £3.50 for a charge vs £40 for a fill. But they were factually reporting the current situation. This seems to annoy you for some reason.

Producing hydrogen efficiently isn't the problem. That can be done relatively cheaply and efficiently now. The problem is disposing of the CO2 that is associated with producing hydrogen.

What May's report did show was that the manufacturers seem to have sorted out the supply chain problems with hydrogen distribution. The last time I saw H2 vehicles being fuelled (in Germany) it was a damned nightmare of coupling and uncoupling hoses with a need to dump waste heat from the fuel tank which contained Zeolite to stabilise the hydrogen. Fuelling took almost an hour. Unless May was deceiving us, the filling of the Honda was the same as fuelling an LPG car.

What we didn't get was an analysis of where the hydrogen comes from (from cracking of hydrocarbons). However they were good enough to mention that electric cars get their fuel mostly from coal fired power stations.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The mains connector to the car was much beefier than a 13 amp one. Could be of course for 110 volt where the same energy means twice the current.

But I'm not convinced it does need an overnight charge if a higher power supply is provided.

Oh indeed. As usual they quote the marvellous performance and range like they applied at the same time.

Dunno about the cooling. I doubt a powerful enough charger would add much to the weight or take up too much space these days.

There should be some sort of feedback to prevent that.

It's a situation which would change overnight if electric vehicles became popular. No government could afford to give up the revenue from fuel duty

- that's all.

'Efficiently' covers that.

Indeed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, you could, but it wouldn't be very competitive.

Didn't the Mondeo have a sleeved down 2.5 V6, or possibly a Mazda 2.0 V6? - I recall something about that.

And I believe they did some fairly radical pissing about with suspension mount points etc.

Reply to
SteveH

Maybe what's needed is a small range of standard batteries (maybe 3 different sizes to cope with different size cars), so that people could literally go into a petrol station with their nearly-dead battery, and swap it for a fully charged one, at a cost of the power plus some reasonable element of profit to cover the storage etc etc. of the batteries. Might work, though the petrol stations would need to carry a huge stock of charged batteries, as once they're out, you can't keep customers waiting 12 hours.

Or, as Boris put it the other week, "the plug".

Reply to
AstraVanMann

I must admit I'd be sticking a 63a ceeform in the garage if I had a tesla - but the other side of that is that 100k buys a Nissan GTR with all the speed, more comfort and fuel for about 200k miles available at a petrol station near you.

Hydrogen is easy to produce. Use nuke, wind, hydro and solar, or failing that oil, coal and gas.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp