Can you show me the way to Oldham ?

Been to Oldham SVA centre today in the Locost, brilliant drive over the Pennines to the dark side (BTW can anyone recommend some goggles, I feel daft wearing my old lid) :)

Got there 1/2 hour early, tester was sound, four hours later... a failure certificate, but it's not as bad as it sounds :)

It failed on; Rear foglight too low, no problem, I'll remove one of the reverse lights and replace it with the fog. Speedo underreading, easy fix, just take off the needle and rotate it, it doesn't have to register below 10mph ;) Need a couple of locknuts on the upper wishbone balljoints. A couple of "contactable items" weren't radiused to 2.5mm, front hubs, bottom of the coilovers (being exposed) and exhaust.

To me that's a moral victory, after 3 1/2 years of building with no previous experience, jumping through governmental hoops when they don't even know the rules themselves, SVA rules changing every few months, oh, and not actually owning an SVA manual ;) I'm chuffed :)

Should be all sorted on Sunday, ring 'em Monday morning for a retest, a 40 min test later and I should be on my way to Leeds DVLA office for a reg no. :)))

Time for a celebratory smoke I think 8)

Reply to
Tony Bond

Nice one mate!!!! Hell of an acheivement. Just dont work out how much you've spent on it in those 3 1/2 years :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

It's usually the second question asked after "is it a kit car ?", the answer varies on whether either of our respective missus' are within earshot ;) But I'd guess no more than £2500 if you don't include tools, I've spent much more than that on cars but none have had the handled like the Locost :)

Reply to
Tony Bond

When are you fitting an R1 / blade / ZX9 engine ? :-))))

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I've got 2 1600 xflows in my shed in bits, one is a standard GT and the other is unknown spec but has a race camshaft and a "very" fettled head, I'll cobble something together from them both, that's the next upgrade :)

Of course if I crash my Mondeo in the near future I'll have to find room for a 2l zetec-E ;) which I would like in there at some point.

Bike engine would be too much for me, it's all a bit "raw" as it is (and I'm getting old :).

Reply to
Tony Bond

Go on maybe something a bit different though maybe a BMW F 650 CS (or GS) lump only 50bhp but the way a single cylinder 4 stroke delivers it's power is totally unique.

Reply to
Depresion

can you fit a rover v8 in one of them? being all alloy, it's hardly heavier than the crossflow, shitloads of torque, and gets 150bhp without even breaking a sweat. the crossflow's starting to struggle at 150. and it sounds great too.

Reply to
jeremy

Sorry, no tractors ;)

Reply to
Tony Bond

CVH Turbo?????????

as per a dead rst

Reply to
SkyTech

cvhs are all fwd aren't they? sounds like a b*%"* to fit.

Reply to
jeremy

You can get a RV8 into anything so long as you steer clear of the later 4.0l+ sizes as fitted to range rovers as they have a habit of cracking the blocks.

Reply to
Depresion

It can be a bit tricky in a locost - the steering shaft and one or two of the tubes sometimes foul the engine. It's still possible though - very much so.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Could you suggest an engine to use instead then ? :)

It has to be cheap, simple, reliable, plenty tuning potential, RWD out of the box and above all small and compact.

Doesn't leave many contenders....

Reply to
Tony Bond

MR2 engine?

Reply to
jeremy

How about a lot of Alfas? Could you mate a Boxer bell housing to a GTV or 75 torque tube and transaxle?

Or an Alfa V6, or even 8v Twinspark 2.0.

How about a Mazda Wankel Rotary?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Good taste :) would probably choose this, but you're looking at £300 for a bellhousing adapter to type9 or the 'box from a RWD Corolla. Not the easiest thing to find now ;(

Reply to
Tony Bond

Has been done, but the boxer is quite wide and doesn't leave much room for steering column or anything else for that matter. It's quite cramped in there ;)

Size and weight again, even the twinspark is quite tall.

Very nice, but supposed to be uncomfortably hot in a 7, needs insulating from the cockpit. Although this Wankel engined example is nice :)

Tony Bond

might be worth it in the long run though. they just keep on going.

Reply to
jeremy

Mates '89 corolla gti currently on 221k, driven hard every damn day

-- Chet

HF Integrale 16v - Gettin there!1993 Renault 19 16v - Subtle extras like a T3 ;)1998 Audi A4 - I don't know why, but i did.

Reply to
Chet

13B turbo rotary. Meets all those criteria.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston