Civic Type R v Clio 182

I think you're missing the point of VTEC. A car that revved to 9krpm without vtec would be gutless below 5.5krpm. VTEC ensures that whilst you're pootling about around town its perfectly civilised round town, you dont have to move off at 3krpm in traffic to prevent stalling etc etc.

My car has a distant cousin of the VTEC system and works very well. I can cruise around with the engine totally relaxed - when I'm in a 30 zone I'm usually in 5th. But when I hit a NSL I can change down to 2nd/3rd and I can storm round to almost 8krpm to pick up the pace. Or I can just put my foot down in 5th and waft up to 60! As a result, even though the peak power is only 125bhp, because of the way its developed it's pretty rapid compared to similar cars.

And before you moan about forced induction being better, if you really want it you can step up to the supercharged version and have the best of both worlds.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Agreed.

Yes it is ! Have you driven one ? It has ZERO guts !

Reply to
Nom

We understand it perfectly. I totally agree with the above, and I'd much rather have a 2.0 16v VTec than a 2.0 16v NA.

But it's nowhere near as good as a forced-induction/large-capacity system ! Why put up with VTec, when you can choose a nice 2.0 16v Turbo, or a 3.0 V6, or whatever ?

Yes, my Pug's got VVC, and it works great.

Altering the valve timing is always a good idea, and all engines should do it.

But if you had a Turbo, that 30-60 in 5th would be a lot quicker ! And you wouldn't need to drop to 2nd - cos it would get to 60 just as quickly in 3rd or maybe 4th.

Exactly ! Why would you ever choose VTec, when the other technologies allow the best of both worlds ?!?!?

Reply to
Nom

Fuel consumption, service intervals, often reliability.

Reply to
DanTXD

in news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com, "Nom" slurred :

Bollocks :)

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Isn't the supercharged version non-VTEC?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Fuck off :)

Reply to
Nom

All valid reasons :)

But I wouldn't choose a VTec over a Turbo for any of them !

Reply to
Nom

But why would you chose a 2.0 T over a V8. Why put up with a weezy V6 over a V12? etc etc. All cars are a comprimise in some sense. The VTEC system has been proved to work well and generally makes a quick car. Personally if I want to get a shift on I want to feel like I'm working the car, so I like a car that revs. And sales/reviews of the Type R seems to indicate that other people agree with me. Not to mention the S2000 - I would love one of those and the the engine suits the cars characteristics perfectly.

And my insurance would be massive. And I like revving the car anyway.

Without TVIS my car would be nowhere near as good as it is now with it. If I slap a turbo/SC on there the insurance companies rape me. Its a good comprimise, and suits the car well.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

After a breif investigation it appears the SCs were non TVIS. Ah well

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Limitier doesn't kick in until @8500 - 30% potential entertainment missed (if you swing that way!)

Reply to
D1Mac

Because you can't buy "normal" cars with V8 engines in ! I'd much rather a V8 than a 2.0T - but the V8 limits my choice of cars to around f*ck-all, and raises my budget to around a shit-load :)

See above ! If V12s were actually available for sensible money, then I'd have one :)

Reply to
Nom
[...]

Yes you can.

My last 3 cars and another a while back have all been V8s...

Plenty of V8s at pocket-money prices out there. :)

V12s can be quite cheap to *buy* too.

Alistair J Murray

No you can't, they're all rare and expensive to buy-and-run luxo-barges. Your current £15k Alpina is hardly a "normal" car.

Ford don't stick a V8 in the Focus, for example.

Yes, I didn't say they didn't exist ! The point is, they're only an absolutely *miniscule* proportion of the whole car market. If you want a V8 car, then you're very very limited in choice.

"Plenty" ?

Exactly.

Reply to
Nom

[...]

Granted. :)

The previous three cost £350, £3000 and £5000 though.

Probably as well with it being Wrong Wheel Drive.

Audi, BMW, Merc, Lexus, Rover...

I even had a choice of two B10 V8s in Scotland when I went shopping.

They may not be common but they're not hard to find.

10 BMW 540s for > V12s can be quite cheap to *buy* too.

:)

Alistair J Murray

Why yes, there's just such a vast choice - there's the Mondeo V8, the Cavalier V8, the 406 V8, the Focus V8, the Impreza V8, the R600 V8, etc, etc.

Oh, hang on. No there isn't.

Reply to
LordyUK
[...]

Nearly all the folks who do proper RWD cars do V8s so you might as well have the V8. :)

Alistair J Murray

Shedloads of older BMW and Merc V8s around, or if you're looking for new bargains it's gotta be the MG.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I'd jump at the chance of a sensibly priced M5, if the running costs weren't so high (last time I looked at them, a pair of replacement front shocks was £1200 or something equally crazy, plus fitting).

I'm rather tempted with a 75 V8 actually. I keep hoping to spot one for only slightly more than f*ck-all.

Reply to
Nom

might.

and thats not the only one.