classic porsche rims

anyway what about the bloody wheels?

Reply to
Theo

As I asked are they 5x130 or 4x130 (I think probably 5 stud) both are rather limited in styles are there aren't that many cars with said fitment. Though with the Audi connection they could be 5x112 a more common fitment also used by merc (and can I just mention VW campers in this thread again).What wheels dose it have at the moment?

Reply to
Depresion

Ah just done a search and the 924 only came in 4x108 and 5x130 if you are lucky you will have the 4x108 as there are quite a few cars that have the right wheels pug 106 for example (just need a ring to adapt the centre bore, the offset is close enough +/-3mm) so you can get all manner of after market rims. The 5x130 were only used by Porsche (& on the Merc Sprinter but the offset is way out on that).

Reply to
Depresion

The basic 924 wasn't a Turbo. It was an NA engie that first used the VW an engine, then late/better models used the same engine as the 944 (which means you get a lighter sleeker 944 for 924 money, but pay for Porsche parts for the engine, not VW/Audi ones), then Ltd Edn 924 turbo Carrera models. These still sell in the low to mid thousands instead of upper hundreds to low thousands.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

The C900 will be fun but will need more work and tweaking and maybe expensive repairs waiting to jump on you unless they have already been caught.

The audi will be solid reliable and toruble free (if you can find a quattro one it might not be the fastest but you will be able to use everything that it has) as long as it has history and you keep the belts changed upto date. Diseasel will be cheaper to run as long as it has kept to it's service history, especially pugs. beware things like not having the oil and filter changed at the right time, and glow plugs that are on their last legs, or on TD's having the fueling and boost screwed right up (remember Dingsdale).

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

i want to fill out the arches a little more, as the wheels do sit very narrow in the recess.

Reply to
Theo

I'll get back to you on all that! :)

When I can be bothered to trawl around for the right info and everything, as I don't really give a flying for the slant 4 engine because i don't have one and don't want one! (unless there's a TR7 lump with 5 speed box going for 50 quid, then I'd be interested. Maybe.)

Reply to
Stuffed

This wouldn't be too hard.

Reply to
Sales!

I know the lumps go for peanuts if you're in the right place at the right time, or shedloads if you look on Ebay - But I'm looking to go 2l and 5 speed, so being tight would want lump and box together, not seen that for 50 quid so far :(

Not that I'm sure I want a slant 4, much prefer the idea of a 16v Rover 2l with the 5 speed on the back, but at least going TR7 I could get hold of a Dolly 1850 front sub and not have to start playing silly buggers with the engine mounting points. Still, there's something about simple efi and robust parts that appeal to me more than heads that glue themselves on and water pumps that fall off.

Plus I'd need to check up the insurance increase. Believe it or not, I can get a 1500TC with a 140hp Rover twincam under the bonnet covered for less than a standard 127hp Sprint!

Reply to
Stuffed

It's all horses for courses. I know of someone else's 2.0 + 5 speed box still attached to what happens to be my engine hoist as I type this. The downside is the engine needs a rebuild as it's definitely slack and I'm going to have the gearbox to replace my very crunchy one. You could have the left over pair for nothing much, I'd say if it was me (probably not a good idea though.)

Anyway, you're absolute right, if you find a 2.0 being converted to a v8, the engine (and sometimes box) are worthless to the converter, but if they advertise them, (especially on ebay) someone will offer more than they're worth. The trick is to be in the right place at the right time, I'd start with a breaker / MoT where the TRs tend to go to die, and that due to rust rather than engine trouble.

Scary. Of course, the sprint engine would have a broader power curve, while the twin cam most likely sacrifices grunt for a nice headline figure of "140".

Even so, I'm surprised your insurers assess it like that. ;)

Reply to
Sales!