Clutch Actuators

It's been a while since I've been here, but it seems little has changed - Rob's still battering Novas! I've been to the doctor this week, and it seems I've got tendonitis in my clutch leg. To any normal person, that would mean not driving or buying an automatic. Well, I'm not doing either 'cos you can't go autotesting on fott or in an automatic! I need to rest my leg, so I need to activate the clutch another way. I'm thinking a lever on the gearstick, and something to pull on the clutch cable mounted under the bonnet.

I'm sure I could write a little bit of code for a PIC to do the clever stuff in the middle, but what would I use to pull the clutch? The only thing I can think of that will work in the right way is the servo from a radio controlled car, but it'd be far too weedy. Any ideas?

Cheers, Andy

Reply to
Andy Laurence

In article , snipped-for-privacy@this.is.a.trap.graffl.net spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

What about a hydraulic release bearing and something with a switch operated pump, or would that be too slow?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Bottle of C02 or N20 with solenoid, and a "air shifter ram" as used on bikes. Been there done that...

But not with the PIC???

Tell me, can you make me a circuit that will control a balancing robot with a solid state gyro and a couple of wheel position sensors???

Reply to
Burgerman

In article , snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

I did think of an airshifter. I've seen them work both ways for drag racing, but I was thinking for for the capacity of tank, and if he needs it more for everyday driving. Wouldn't an air shifter need a sequential box in car?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

MeatballTurbo raved thus:

:: I did think of an airshifter. I've seen them work both ways for drag :: racing, but I was thinking for for the capacity of tank, and if he :: needs :: it more for everyday driving. Wouldn't an air shifter need a :: sequential :: box in car?

Nah, use a couple of rams. Many years ago you used to be able to buy a kit for H-pattern shifts.

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

Lol - did you ever get anywhere with the climnbing / standing powerchair?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Doubt you'd get enough purchase unless the lever was long. I'd have thought the easy way would be a vacuum servo. But check it out with 'disabled' car makers - they certainly used to make manuals without clutches.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Rip one out of a segway.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

buy a nova and just dont use the left leg :)

clutches are easy changed (drop out the bottom )

Reply to
Rob

No, I was talking about the ram working the clutch???

Reply to
Burgerman

No but thats because my electronics and programming are crap! Need help!

Reply to
Burgerman

Thought of that but its a price / availability / reprogram to suit thing...

Reply to
Burgerman

Are they able to apply varying amounts of "pedal pressure"? If so, they sound ideal. Wouldn't want an on/off switch for a clutch though!

Cheers, Andy

Reply to
Andy Laurence

It's a company car anyway, so clutches/gearboxes not an issue ;-)

Still wouldn't help with pulling away.

Cheers, Andy

Reply to
Andy Laurence

Andy Laurence raved thus:

::: No, I was talking about the ram working the clutch??? :: :: Are they able to apply varying amounts of "pedal pressure"? If so, :: they sound ideal. Wouldn't want an on/off switch for a clutch :: though!

You could still use your foot when you need it to be touchy-feely, like setting off from a standstill. Or could you? I suppose it could be fettled to work that way? Never done one though.

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

To change gear you want fast depression/release. Thats on off... To set off you want yourself, or a torque converter!

Reply to
Burgerman

if you've not already seen it..

Reply to
""/pi/"

Not working??

Reply to
Burgerman

fine now.. (and when i posted it for that matter)

Reply to
""/pi/"

Yes, seen it before but his electronics skills are better than mine!

Reply to
Burgerman