Dithering over

*snort*

I have a Linux install here, it boots from a memory stick on my Thinkpad. I only have it for one reason, and that's to configure my travel-router so I can use the Thinkpad on wifi networks.

I did try to use it as an everyday OS to save carrying 2 laptops around when I'm working away. Didn't last long, 'cos Linux is clunky, in no way user-friendly and looks like the amateur beta release that it is.

Reply to
SteveH

I never said it didn't affect other laptop brands, the fault was with batteries made by Sony, who at the time were and probably still are the major player in Lithium Ion battery manufacture for laptops.

Reply to
Depresion

No, you just used it as one of your fact-free 'reasons why Apple are shit'.

I'm running a MacBook here, with not only OSX on my desktop, but earlier I had Win 2k Pro, XP Pro and PCLinuxOS all happily running in their own windows on the OSX desktop.

That's one of the many reasons I stick with Apple - I can run just about any OS I want, at near-native speed, in a window on the OSX desktop.

This is not something you can do with generic Wintel machines.

Reply to
SteveH

Wrong, just smashing your constant Apple are perfect posts you make.

Reply to
Depresion

Then why did you bother to make it and waist your dandwidth and mine? Other than to avoid ditching a habit of a life time by you actually making a useful post with information?

Reply to
Depresion

As opposed to your completely unfounded 'everything Apple has ever made is s**te' posts?

Fair play, you're consistent.

Even I'm not *that* consistent - I'll openly admit that some Fords push the right buttons for me.

Reply to
SteveH

I see information there.

Even if it's only to point out that you don't know what the f*ck you're talking about.

Reply to
SteveH

I have 2 apples in the room with me and I can't eat either of them. Just don't let people find out that it's really Panther I hate (and the Ipod) but bitching about the entire company rattles more cages so is more fun.

Reply to
Depresion

Panther?

Luddite.

Reply to
SteveH

So you paid through the nose for a Mactop just to end up running Windows on it?

I didn't think that was the point.

Reply to
Conor

THANK FUCK. Someone else who agrees with me.

You'll be getting death threats from the Loonix mob soon.

Reply to
Conor

Then his information is wrong, and worthless. Still I'd expect that from someone called Steve. (Oh I've missed Usenet)

Reply to
Depresion

You need to get out more! ;-)

Reply to
conkersack

Romeo'

Honda VFR800 - Hongdou GY200 - Alfa 75 TSpark

You need to stay in more!

Reply to
conkersack

A mac is practically a PC these days. You can run windows on em IIRC.

Reply to
Doki

Sadly there is Flash, but no Shockwave.

Reply to
Elder

Nor that it's any slower of course...

Reply to
DervMan

Swings and roundabouts IMO. It's not as simple for me to set up as a windows computer, and it can be pain in the arse to get certain things to work. However, the pay off is in reliability. After a couple of years, a Windows installation becomes completely cluttered up with s**te and basically ceases to function well. I hadn't really noticed until a couple of years ago when I stopped having any interest in computers, but keeping a windows machine running well is a constant effort.

Reply to
Doki

Free for home use, works a treat.

Reply to
PC Paul

64bit can be quite a lot faster, if you are dealing with obscenely large numbers and lots of ram. Then again if you were doing that you wouldn't be looking at XP as an OS.
Reply to
Depresion