door lock armor fiat punto Mk2

Does anyone one know if i can get strenghtening plates for a fiat punto door lock. Someone hammered a screwdriver through the door skin of my Punto and popped the door open and I would like to be able to stop this happening again. I know that you used to be able to get plates to armor the door lock area of some cars. Does anone know if these are available for a Punto. I've searched but have had no luck. Cheers Rob

Reply to
robwilkuk

Don't know about the plates but after market deadlocks are available. These are independent of the normal door locks and buried in the door recesses away from external interference.

Reply to
Nick /////

delock and weld some plates behind it :)

like to see the little scrotes punch through that :)

Reply to
Rob

The message from "Rob" contains these words:

Wouldn't even need to be welded. Cut some thickish sheet, old PC case outers used to be quite thick - though recent models are very flimsy - there's no shortage of old PCs if you look around.

Cut to shape and bend to suit - then epoxy into place on the inside of the door. A six inch square of araldite would take a hell of a lot of pushing with a screwdriver to shift.

Reply to
Guy King

aaah fond memories of "welding" up lancias without dropping fuel tanks out using araldite squares of steel and some seam seal :)

Reply to
Rob

Ah... that reminds me... not strictly cars but just try and imagine it's a bit of bodywork ;-)

I have a tumble drier drum that needs a hole patching - I've done it once with aluminium sheet and epoxy putty - worked well for ages then fell off :-(

I think the problem was a lack of flexibility, especially since the drum runs on wheels and the patch gets rolled over by them every revolution.

Any ideas from the bodyworking fraternity on reasonably (150 degrees C maybe?) heatproof and flexible goop to stick alloy sheet on with?

Tis only a small (inch or two) hole, and you can't get replacement drums anywhere I've tried...

Reply to
PC Paul
150 celcius?????

you sure?

at that temp your going to have to weld rather than use some form of adhesive,

one of these liquid metals maybe?

Reply to
Rob

The message from "Rob" contains these words:

I remember welding a neatly let in patch into a Fiat van sill. Patch was made of Mini roof - but it started raining as we finished grinding it all smooth so we left it overnight. Next morning the implant was still shiny but the original Fiat was rusty all over.

Reply to
Guy King

Titanium epoxy putty. About £28 a pot from Rs. Although you can get tumbledryers whole for a tenner at your local council tip.

Reply to
Duncanwood

Can't you rivet it on ?

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Hadn't thought of that one. I suppose it would work, but it does form part of the track the support wheels roll along so I'm not sure rivets wouldn't work loose.

Reply to
PC Paul

Maybe not that high then. It does have to be high enough to vaporise the water, but not flash it nto steam.

Anybody know the true temperature the inside of a tumble drier gets up to?

Reply to
PC Paul

Ouch, that's Silly Putty ;-) Is it more flexible then?

As for the tip, round here they never seem to be allowed to sell anything and they get peeved if you ask. Maybe they don't like the look of me!

Reply to
PC Paul