Engine oil truth?

Cheers, thought it wasn't a bad deal, but next time I know that i'm probably wasting my £ going for mobil1. Could probably get 2 semi-synth changes for the price 1 mobil1 change..

Dave

Reply to
Dave

In article , snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Who mentioned burning it? I think we were talking about leaking. Every triumph (car and bike) has done this since the day they were made. Does that mean they left the factory shagged?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

No smoke is the issue. They USE oil I think was the term used... Can't be bothered to look. Either way its wrong!

Modern triumph bikes are as oil tight as the japanese ones.

And yes if they leak then they need repairing! So shagged....

Reply to
Burgerman

Not really - there's no doubt that Mobil1 is top quality stuff. It's just not suitable for Old/HighMileage engines - neither of which applies to yours :)

Reply to
Nom

Almost all motors of non Japanese origin are by definition shagged. Ford's leak - there is a 1/4" thick slick of grunge up the road where a near neighbour parks his Sierra. My dads Rover 216 always had pools of oil on the cylinder head. Walked away from helping a woman with a non starting VW golf when I saw the whole engine bay was entirely gloss black on a red car. Citroen BX16 the mesh in the oil filler cap vent blocks then the rubber hose from sump to filler splits to release the pressure and oil.

Must be endemic as on several occassions when I have the bonnet on my car(s past and present) open for oil changes and the like and people passing have said "that's clean". No doubt they also think it's unreliable and always trouble as I do 4 oil changes a year on the street.

Peter Hill

Yep. And there's an oil cooler for the oil too !

Reply to
Nom