FS: 8310

28.8mpg, 195 miles, all on £20 worth of juice? By my calculations, that means petrol's 65p / litre where you are!

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I drove one down to cambridge (old shape, H or J reg I think - had no aircon but had a sunroof...) and was surprised to average 32mpg! I would not hesitate to buy a 540 if I could afford the car and the insurance.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Tim, you managed 32 mpg, from a BMW 540i!

But you got less than that from the 1.0 Corsa?!

Reply to
DervMan

  1. Owner of the 540 (with a broken leg) was sat next to me.
  2. Corsa was a rental car...
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

AstraVanMan made the world a better place for us by saying..

that can't be right then, the computer said 28.8, the range thingy said 20 miles to empty, shoved £20 in, and when I got home, it said 19 miles to empty.. May have been slightly more in the tank when I left, but the light was still on. :-/

Reply to
Pete M

Phew! I thought something traumatic had happened to you! :)

Reply to
DervMan

Heh! I wouldn't trust any fuel computer as being that accurate.

195 miles / 28.8 mpg = 6.77 gallons = 30.78 litres. £20 / 30.78 litres = 64.98p / litre.

Conclusion = I'm being pedantic, the fuel computer isn't quite right, never trust "miles remaining" as being all that accurate (it depends on the running average), but your 540 is still bloody good on fuel for such a big powerful car.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

"Cheater2k" wrote;

Well I have no feelings of like or dislike towards you, you don't mean jack-shit to me, and I'm certainly not going out of my way to fight with you, how pathetic!

Steve.

Reply to
Steven

"DervMan" wrote;

Whatever, over 50mpg does me fine. Which in comparison to an RST runs on fresh air (almost).

Steve.

Reply to
Steven

"DervMan" wrote;

Really? Like an Aston Martin Vanquish?

I can honestly say I'd rather have my old RST even knowing its faults and history than your KA, everyone is different and your post is really stupid.

Steve.

Reply to
Steven

"Bob Sherunckle" wrote;

Don't believe you.

Yep I was right.

You mean when its been run in? FFS!

Complete Bollocks.

If you say so.

Steve.

Reply to
Steven

Thats ok - i'm sure hes about to prove it :)

How? He just proved that some cars get better with age, and you said we couldn't name one?

Its factual, numerical proof. I suppose you don't beleive in science either do you?

He does, as does the entire motoring world.

Reply to
Dan405

  • Frankly - what a tit. X79 VSG. Bought from Western Mercedes in Edinburgh new in september 2000 by Ogilvie Fleet of Stirling. Ran for 60000 miles. Definitely ran better at the end than when it was new. It's a German car thing. They build them tight and as they age, they slacken off ever so slightly and run easier. It's not diffivult to understand. *
  • M73 sliproad north off the M74 heading in the Glasgow direction. The Merc was geared such that 70 in top equaled 2800rpm. It was a 2 valve cylinder small displacement petrol engine so didn't have much torque at that speed. The differnece I detailed above was as real as you are not. *
  • Correct - you're starting to get it. Congratulations. *
  • I do - because it's a plain and simple engineering fact. *
Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

50 mpg? Think not.
Reply to
DervMan

Bwahahah. So (a) assuming you've borrowed the Aston for a weekend and you think the RS Turbo rocks, you're missing a synchromesh, or (b) _sure_.

Yes, you're right, spot on. Everybody is different, and it's quite possible that everybody is wrong and the RS Turbo is the best car, ever.

Reply to
DervMan

Dan405 made the world a better place for us by saying..

I very nearly bought a S2 RS Turbo in 1992. Mercury grey, 28000 miles, standard bar 150 bhp chip and quiet stainless exhaust, G reg, immaculate, £4000. If I'd never owned or driven a good hot hatch, I'd probably have done so.

the RS2000 Mk5 I bought a couple of years later was a great car.

Reply to
Pete M

Very similar story with the first Pug 405 I bought from a local garage.

Popped in to see em after a week, with a huge list of things. They said "Sure, pop it in next week and we'll sort it", and they did. Even replaced all the hoses in the engine, cos it didn't idle properly, and they suspected a leaky perished hose.

Reply to
Nom

So basically brand-new then ?

Surely 15K was a BARGAIN ?

Reply to
Nom

It wouldnt be a fight, lol, reasons are

1- Your prob cant actuly drive 2- I dont fight with "kids" like yourself 3- oh, doesnt matter, go back to school

Reply to
Cheater2k

Nom made the world a better place for us by saying..

yeah, I'd have thought so. Looked lovely apart from the glaring whiteness.

I *HATE* white cars.

even though I've owned about 25 of the f'kin things..

in fact, I've just got home from buying....

a K reg, 173000 mile, 1.4i Astra LS Estate... (stop that drooling)

and it's f'kin white.. and yours for £500 !

Will have 12 months MOT sometime in the week as well, got to be a bargain :-p

Reply to
Pete M