FS: Unusual Toyota Sera Gullwing

I'm selling my 1990 H Toyota Sera Gullwing coupe, 1.5 Automatic. Doors open in the same way as the McLaren F1 - up and forwards, not a regular gullwing style. Based on Toyota Paseo mechanical parts, so very easy to maintain.

Imported in 2000 with 64,000Kms, now showing 97,000 miles, was converted at import to MPH with step-down gears so the 33,000 will have been reasonably correctly recorded.

Has G5 bodykit (spoiler/front bumper), 16" alloys, engine fully rebuilt by Toyota dealer after head gasket failed (failed when idling, noticed the white smoke, had car trailered to dealer - I thought I'd done everything right and all it would need would be the gasket, but I had the head decoked, new seals, and apparently this showed wear in the rings, so the whole lot has been done at a cost of £1,800 including new oil pump and new genuine radiator after a pinhole leak was discovered). Has also had brand new headlights; most Seras suffer yellowed lenses which can be hard to get totally clear - genuine lights seemed a sensible alternative, since one light had been damaged in the past and badly repaired :). Needless to say the coolant, timing belt, oil and auto fluid were all changed at the same time as the engine rebuild.

Aircon, electric windows and mirrors, Kenwood 10CD changer. Stainless exhaust.

Does need some tidying. Specifically, there's a parking scrape on the rear 1/4, very light, and a vandalism scratch on the bonnet. There's also some evidence of a previous car-park incident which was described to me by the previous owner and resulted in the broken light. You can see the car when I was fitting mesh, warts and all, on the website.

Spare steel wheels, s/h front struts if the lowered suspension is too harsh for you, new wheelarch liners.

MOT May, Tax the same.

£2,500 ovno. Car is in Scottish Borders.

Some info here:

- with pictures. Up to date pictures and info by request, but most of the site is current. The car is currently totally driveable and reassembled; work presently needed to make it perfect would be replacement of window channel rubbers (around £15 each), and it may need wheel bearings at the back. Not posted to uk.adverts.cars as BT don't carry it. Yet.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Richard Kilpatrick raved thus:

:: I'm selling my 1990 H Toyota Sera Gullwing coupe, 1.5 Automatic.

How to sell a car:

'The Sera was never marketed outside of Japan, apparently because it wouldn't meet EU crash regulations'

;o)

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤ ( snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

So don't crash it....

Reply to
Adrian

I'm hardly going to say it's the safest car in the world ;)

Anyway, it's true. Not, I suspect, because of the doors (the window is just large enough to crawl out through), but because of the header rail. The doors are very solid, but it predates the need for side impact bars in the EU anyway.

It'll be safer than a Metro ;)

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

No it wouldn't, I'd never get into a Metro...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Likewise. Well, I did once. But never again. Been playing with a toyota engine to fit into our kit - those Japs... think of everything (and every nut and bolt is 12 or 14mm, not 13mm like on everything else I owned!)

Reply to
James

Oh man! Parent and Child parking spaces, here we come!

Reply to
Mark W

Just the thing to shoehorn a GT4 motor and 4wd system into. ; )

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Why?

You can open the doors fully in a far more confined space than a conventional car :)

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Can you? I just assumed you'd want a lot of room for the doors. I'll remember that if one comes up for sale a bit closer to me.

Reply to
Mark W

not a great chance of that happening.

Reply to
Theo

Oddly enough, I can drive it quite a distance on account of it being remarkably comfortable for such a small car.

Anyway: Have some interest, but it's all a bit vague at the moment. I will consider a cheap p/x if it's suitably 'me' - no Fiesta/Saxo type machinery, but Subaru pickup, Landie, 2CV - weirdness, essentially - would be considered.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

I realise that! Anyway, so much for opening the doors in a car park, what happens when I put the car in my garage and can't raise the doors!

Reply to
Mark W

The car is very low. If you can stand up in your garage, you can open the doors fully. ;)

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick