Fuxxache

The golf is leaking from the sunroof and on the passenger door. I suspect the pass door is down to too much water trying to get out of too small a set of drain holes when I hammer the window with a pumped hose, but the sunroof has me a bit stumped. Suppose it could be far enough out of line to allow far too much water in for the drains to deal with - they're not blocked.

Reply to
Doki

you get all the luck it just aint fair! :)

Reply to
Vamp

If it's like some others the drain hoses are simply a push fit and can leak where they push on. The drains should be able to cope with any water that gets past the roof - even with a non existent seal on the roof itself.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'll get the seal lined up and pray. Then when I've got time and inclination I'll rod the drain hoses and make sure they're running clear.

Reply to
Doki

Be gentle. They're usually just plain rubber rather than reinforced so could easily be damaged. If you can get at the bottom ends I'd try blowing through them with something like the output from a vacuum cleaner. Not high pressure air. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've had similar problems on the BX and the SD1. Water was draining out of the sunroof drains, but the inside of the car was still getting wet. The BX was caused by a partially blocked rear tube (parking under a tree at our old flat filled it up with crap). I found a long bit of curtain wire (the stuff you hang up net curtains with) worked a treat as it was flexible enough to get round the bends and not damage the pipe, but also rigid enough that it would push through the crap. Running a load of hot soapy water through the drains afterwards seemed to help get the last bit of crap out.

I assumed a similar problem with the SD1, but there was no blockage at all. I dropped the headling at the back of the car and looked above with a torch and discovered on of the rear drains had come loose causing it to weep, so was just a case of squeezing my hand up through and pushing the pipe back on, and now all is well (well the windscreen still leaks, but thats another story).

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

The other trick on the SD1 is the rear hoses can get pushed up so they exit in the boot. ;-) The fronts can also get unplugged where they come through the footwell sides.

As regards the windscreen you'll never bodge seal it. Remove it - if it's leaking the glue has failed anyway and it should come out without trouble and replace using modern glue.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well I've fixed the passenger side, it's just the drivers side that's still leaking a bit. I'm gonna have one more go with the sealant as I think I know where it's getting in. If not the windscreen will be coming out

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I wish you luck. I tried Captain Tolley's and silicone and never got it leak free. If you look carefully you can see where the original Sorbit has failed. And the screen will move slightly between adhesive and glass which makes neat sealing near impossible.

After new screens back and front and removing and re-sealing the '6th' lights, some work on the taillights and name strip at the back, I have a totally leak free SD1. Probably unique. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)