Golf Mark IV TD.....

It isn't... not on the older 2.0 ones anyway, which is what the 306 will be if you get one.

I've had several HDIs... they're very sensitive economy wise if

*anything* is amiss under the bonnet.

If possible, get a 110bhp rather than a 90, as weirdly, they're both more torquey and more economical overall when both are running right, although the 110 isn't found in the 306.

****

The 110 is intercooled, so it's more efficient...

IME, the XUD has less bits that fail under the bonnet than the HDI.

The HDI is quieter and more economical when running right.

The XUD (TD at least), can be tuned with a screwdriver, the HDI needs a map - both go notably better once tweaked, and both will cover high mileages if you look after them... although the HDI will present more problems without obvious answers, most of which will cause it to lose power and use more fuel, along the way. :-)

Reply to
DervMan

Meh - back to back with most of the fleet, yes, but it's a degree of slowness with a group of cars not known for being rapid! Back to back, Xantia TD to a 406 TD to a Mondeo TD, each felt incrementally slower than the last. No fewer overtaking opportunities in the Mondeo TD.

Our Laguna 2.2D felt sluggish, though. Only a little bit down on power compared with the Mondeo (85 versus 88) but quite a bit less torque (105 versus 133 as I remember). Not all that economical either - but curiously enough, well liked by its driver.

I do remember wondering why it'd wheelspin twice in second gear... ;)

Reply to
DervMan

It used to be a bit of a hoot booting them away from the lights- nothing.....nothing....wheelspin. These were Fire Brigade staff cars, and we'd sometimes get them to drive about rather than the Marina van(!) SIII Landy (technically a 6-cyl petrol, but burning more oil tahn you could believe- handy for a smokescreen), Astra 1.6D, or Astramax 1.7D. Needless to say they were popular. If you caught them off-boost they were gutless, but hold the foot down and it would feel like a load of torque came in. Probably a lot less than a PD130 (and with a lot more lag), but the same kind of wallop when it arrives, and very very impressive at the time. It's hard to believe BL/Rover managed it, even with Perkins' help.

The Meastro we had was only a 1.3 or 1.6 Petrol, but it *did* look just like a police car, which was handy at times, but not when you were trying to make progress and the guy in front of you caught sight of the crests on the doors and the blues.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I really liked the 405 TD I had - felt surprisingly similar to the 306 to chuck about, even though it was an estate. Once the engine had been fettled by the DervDoctors it went pretty well too. I still prefer the power delivery of the old-skool TDs to these newer things - I must be getting old. The 406 seems a bit bargy by comparison, and the 407 has an indicator noise which makes me want to stab it.

Reply to
albert T Cone

Nah not really. The very latest diesels feel very clinical, almost certainly thanks to emissions control stuff. Indirect injection turbocharged engines may be a bit* sooty, but their power delivery feels positively organic by comparison.

*a bit, heh; maybe a lot...

On the other hand, the 407's low slung, pedestrian friendly front makes small children point and cry.

And, yes, I found our 406 to be more for comfort rather than handling. The

405 and Mondeo were perhaps a better all rounder, but if all you want is something to trundle along the motorways, comfort is the way.
Reply to
DervMan