Hmmm, I appear to be modding a car

Well, yea :)

Reply to
DanTXD

Good manly sized set off a high end 156 should do the job ;) Either a GTA or a V6.

Reply to
DanTXD

No, a chassis and set up designed for 18s would work well with 18s. If it's designed for smaller wheels it works better with smaller wheels.

Like the Ka.

Reply to
DervMan

But they wouldn't fit.

Inboard rear discs would pose a problem for a start.

Reply to
SteveH

Rears don't do much anyway :)

Do the fronts, worry about the rears later ;)

Reply to
DanTXD

Agreed, the Celica came with 15"'s and used 15's on gravel and 16's on tarmac.

Later builds and the ST205 used 16's on the road cars, and 16's gravel, and 17's on tarmac rally.

Decent 17's can work well and actually lose some of the default 15" tramlining. 18's kill the handling and make it tramline to oblivion. the ST205 can handle 18's without hassle. Totally different suspension setup and geometry.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

They do on a 75, the weight balance especially on the 4 pots is about

50/50 so the brake balance works pretty well.

BTW, Disc Brake Autralia do "Standard slotted" discs for the 75 front and rear. They may do some of their more expensive ones too.

I know DBA "Standard slotted" are machined Brembo blanks and are grooved rather than drilled, because I have them on mine. Just need to locate an importer.

Also try 3G brakes for Brembo based discs, or Hi-Spec if you want something bigger. Also don't forget Godspeed Brakes for brake conversions too.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

To be honest, I don't actually use brakes a lot anyway, so they're well down my list of priorities.

Reply to
SteveH

See... I told you he drives like an old woman!

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

...except for when you're braking, cos the weight all shifts to the front.

Even if you've got 50/50 weight distribution, the rear brakes still do f*ck all on a FWD Front-Engined car :)

Reply to
Nom

It can be as much as fifteen percent! :)

Reply to
DervMan

And the better the brakes, the less the rears will be doing.

Reply to
Questions

He said it was an Alfa 75, did he change what he is modding now?

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

We're not talking about your kind of cars, Nom. We're talking about real ones. RWD, no TC or ABS.

Reply to
Pete M

As high as that ? :)

Reply to
Nom

I had assumed the Alfa 75 was FWD and Front-Engined - is this not the case ?

Reply to
Nom

That doesn't affect the laws of physics !

Ah, well if it's RWD, then the rear brakes do have some function. I didn't know RWD Alfas existed.

They don't affect the laws of physics either !

Reply to
Nom

How long have you been hanging around here? I'm going to invent a new term here. Nompty.

No, but they still have some effect on things that are affected by the laws of Physics.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Oh no. Front engine (either 4pot or V6), rear mounted transaxle through torquetube. Very, very well balanced with the gearbox out back driving the rear wheels.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Dunno.

7 years ?

What's that got to do with anything ?

Oh for f*ck's sake.

I'm a "Nompty" for not having drivetrain-knowledge of random Italian cars which I've never even *seen*, and wouldn't even have known they existed were it not for the occasional post on this group ?

Apologies for not sharing your knowledge of all, but I think it's perfectly reasonable to assume an Alfa Romeo has a front-mounted engine which drives the front wheels, given the models they've made for the past few years.

...and ?

Reply to
Nom