Woohoo, car fixed... for now.

It was the fan speed controller, it was the more expensive one that=20 normally retails at =A3120-150, but I picked one up for =A315 of ebay and= =20 took a chance.

And the best thing of all, they put it in a much easier to get at place,=20 so the whole job took 20mins from looking for my screwdriver mini socket=20 set, to putting the rubber trim back on.

Now I don't need to sit in a gale force as soon as I switch on the=20 igntion.

--=20 Carl Robson Get cashback on your purchases Topcashback

Elder

And the best thing of all, they put it in a much easier to get at place, so the whole job took 20mins from looking for my screwdriver mini socket set, to putting the rubber trim back on.

Now I don't need to sit in a gale force as soon as I switch on the igntion.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

And the best thing of all, they put it in a much easier to get at place, so the whole job took 20mins from looking for my screwdriver mini socket set, to putting the rubber trim back on.

Now I don't need to sit in a gale force as soon as I switch on the igntion.

Well done :-) I'd have had to pay a man hehe :-p

Reply to
DanB

Glad it was simple, well done on scoring a cheap part!

Sometimes new components can be soldered in to

The Resistor pack went on our 306 a couple of weeks ago, I was all ready for an expensive and awkward job after I saw what it took to change the heater matrix. I thought about trying to repair it once I had it out to save myself some cash.

It turned out to be a 20 minute total job, 2 screws and 3 bolts and £10 for the part from the dealer. Score!

Reply to
Douglas Payne

For now. The one thing I don't want to do is get into the fix, modify, tune cycle. Because the next thing you know it, I'll be thousands in debt, with the most wonderful handling, great performance and a shell with rust and dents, scrapes and keying.

Reply to
Elder

The transistor can be replaced if you can solder surface mount=20 components. =20

That was my rason too. =20

8 8mm screws, 3 T10 screws, and one wire connector.=20

--=20 Carl Robson Get cashback on your purchases Topcashback

Elder

If it had gone any further into the aquarium, I would have too. This was right at the top, easy to get at.

Reply to
Elder

That's easy enough to avoid if you've got any self-control whatsoever. Question is, do you?

Reply to
Clive George

Sounds like an ideal trackday car then...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Heh, why not try your hand at soldering in a new one and punt it on ebay for £15?

(c:

I'd give it a go. Somewhere like Maplins could prolly sell you a transitor if that's what has failed. As long as its not motherboard sized electronics it might not be that hard.

It's a diode in the resistor pack that failed in my case, but its not as simple as soldering, the components are held by little clamps rather than soldered and for £10 it was worth just buying a new one.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I think it'll be easy cos Carl appears to not be hugely fond of it anyway, and the shabby bodywork will keep it that way, he won't want to spend cash on something that can't be polished up nice on the weekend.

Reply to
DanB

Hehehe

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Forgot to say, nice one with the fix, glad it came out ok. Despite your ability to be less positive than Eeyore, seems like things do come out right for you sometimes - see also the way you're not having to shift servers for your company in your car. And regardless of certain people's desire to see you become a corporate drone in a suit, if you're enjoying work as it is and can cope with the less-than-stellar cash, sod 'em.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Did you ever see my beige rusty estelle, bought for =A380, ended up=20 spending =A31k including GAZ shocks, new springs, improved braking, nice=20 seats, weber, tuned exhaust, etc, etc.

--=20 Carl Robson Get cashback on your purchases Topcashback

Elder

Bingo, you got it in one, and the heatsink is about the same square shape as a PC, but with 5 prongs and about 4" tall.

Reply to
Elder

Instructions for the repair here and I don't know I can be bothered.

Carl Robson Get cashback on your purchases Topcashback

Elder

Did you ever see my beige rusty estelle, bought for £80, ended up spending £1k including GAZ shocks, new springs, improved braking, nice seats, weber, tuned exhaust, etc, etc.

That doesn't count, it was your first car. Who here can honestly say they didn't waste any money on their first, or one of their early, cars?

All though I get the impression few people here have actually modded a car...

Reply to
DanB

The BMW 'hedgehog' is potted in epoxy or whatever. Luckily this one - my third - seems to be holding up.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What does modding consist of? I have window tint on 1 rear window. :o)

Reply to
Les Ross

I spent most of today bringing the Jensen back to glorious life. Going to record when I finish the job on Thursday.

Aren't buffers fabulous things? Managed to get most of the water marks out of the paint where my mate put an indoor cover on it and left it out in a rainstorm, then left the cover on it for weeks. The bootlid turned white, as did the bonnet and front wings.

Reply to
Pete M